NYTimes The Scoop NYC
By The New York Times Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Scoop is a guide to New York City from the staff of The New York Times. Here's how it works: We give you lists of our favorite restaurants, bars, coffee shops, arts openings, shows, kid-friendly outings and day trips. You go out and have fun. Check off the places you've been, and share what you've done with friends.
New York is one of the greatest cities on earth. Make the most of it!
• Restaurants: Dining editors and critics share their current favorite restaurants in New York from the Times’ famed Critics’ Picks.
• Bars: Pete Wells and Steven Stern share their favorite bars.
• Coffee: Oliver Strand curates a list of great coffee shops.
• Theater: Recommended shows from Ben Brantley, Charles Isherwood and other theater critics for The New York Times.
• Art: A selection of noteworthy gallery and museum listings in and around New York City.
• Only in New York: Critics, editors and reporters share their favorite New York experiences and outings.
• Home Furnishings: A list of our favorite home décor stores from the reporters and editors of the Home section and T Magazine.
• Day Trips: Our favorite outings and excursions beyond the five boroughs.
• More Events: A selection of performances, exhibitions, shows and other happenings in the coming week.
• Citi Bike: The Scoop provides a guide to Citi Bike, New York City’s bicycle sharing program. A new section, sponsored by Citi, helps you find hundreds of locations to pick up and return bikes. Plus, you’ll know where to go to eat, drink or play, with nearby Critics’ Picks from New York Times editors.
• Find recommendations for things to do near your current location.
• Search or filter lists to find what you're looking for.
• Share what you've done or what you plan to do with your friends, via e-mail, text message, Facebook, Twitter or Foursquare.
What's New in Version 1.4.1
New additions to Coffee from Oliver Strand, including the first in Hell's Kitchen and the Financial District
I would give this app a much higher rating except for the following very annoying feature: each time you Tap to a new page, the Citibank advertisement pops up which requires tapping again before you can get to what you're looking for. This happens even after I open the Citibank ad and viewed it! It happens after Every Single TAP!!!!!!!
An ad after every tap
I used to like this app - great recommendations of good NYC spots I might not have otherwise founds. I had one complaint - not enough stuff above 96th St. There are good restaurants and spots up here - and people - but NYT sometimes acts like we don't exist. But now there's a huge Citibank ad that pops up every time you click something and won't go away, rendering the app unusable.
Too much Citi
While the app contains very useful information the Citibank ad that appears between every single screen swipe is obnoxious overkill. Yes, we know they are the sponsors of the app but having their ad in our face for more than half the screens, with no way to hide the ad, is extremely off putting and greatly diminishes the usability of the app.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jan 08, 2014
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 5.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The New York Times Company (iDP)
- © The New York Times Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.