SplashMoney for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Manage your money anytime, anywhere. Connect to your online bank from your iPad and download transactions directly into SplashMoney. Create budgets and then track and analyze your spending with customizable reports and charts. Sync wirelessly with your PC or Mac to stay on top of your finances whether you're at home, on the road, or in the office.
SplashMoney Key Features:
- Connect wirelessly to many online US bank accounts (a unique benefit of SplashMoney compared to other finance applications)
- Track different account types: checking, savings, credit card, cash, asset, liability, money market and line of credit
- Password protection to prevent unwanted access to your financial data
- Quickly enter data using memorized transactions
- Schedule transactions with reminders
- Budgets and charts
- Multiple currency support with live currency updates
- Simple, intuitive interface
- Sync over WiFi with your PC or Mac (see details below)
SplashMoney supports US banks offering Direct Connect online service (as Quicken and Microsoft Money use), which may require activation through your bank. For a list of supported banks, go to http://splashdata.com/splashmoney/banks.htm
Note: Wireless sync option requires SplashMoney Desktop software, sold separately, available for download at splashdata.com/iphone with a complete 30 day free trial.
What's New in Version 4.9.2
Fixes an issue with the currency server
iPad/iPhone version of Splashmoney
I've had this app for a couple of weeks and it seems to do the job. But I'm not happy with a couple of issues. I purchased it so I could enter transactions whether I'm traveling (which I do a lot) or am at home.
1. The desktop version does not create a file I can keep in Dropbox or similar cloud service so the desktop version and iPad app can't stay in sync until you get home and manually sync them. Then you have to remember which app you last made entries so it will overwrite the other one. This is a very clumsy way to keep your financial entries correct.
2. Although their website claims you only have to pay for one app for all your iDevices, if you have an iPhone and an iPad (as I do), you have to buy it twice. The developer confirmed this in an email I sent, so it seems to me it could be construed as false advertising. therefore, it may have been better to create a universal version so they'd work on both devices.
I'll continue to use it for the time being because their desktop version works well with the Mac OS X 10.6 platform. However, if I stumble on a checkbook management app that solves these issues, I'll switch in a heartbeat.
Like some others who have written reviews, I, too, used SplashMoney in the Palm days and it was the BEST application for tracking your money. I was excited to try it on my iPad but have been sorely disappointed because the functionality is just not the same. I have never been able to actually download bank transactions directly into SplashMoney (something about the bank not allowing it but I have three different banks and it was the same story for each one). On the desktop version, I did figure out how to download into CSV and then import. Unfortunately the iPad version either doesn't allow import so you're stuck manually entering each transaction. I went into Tools to try to edit the categories, class, etc, and, even though it has the option, the app does absolutely nothing when you swipe the option. The only thing you can change is the currency. I was rooting for SplashMoney and, unfortunately, the only thing nice I can say is that it USED to be good.
I used to be an avid lover of splash money back in the Palm pilot days, but sadly, the wheels have fallen off the bus with the iPad version. The app is so glitchy it's not even funny. Often I cannot get it change from landscape to portrait. Now I cannot change my password. More importantly, the totals in my accounts get "confused"! I have a handful of entries that I've used as budget entries for years, changing the amount from paycheck to paycheck and bill to bill. Splash does not recalculate the amounts correctly when I do this. This is banking 101! What if I just entered a transaction for the wrong amount? In addition, Sometimes when I open a new transaction but then decide to cancel it, SM will still add it to my register but I can't see it, just the affect of it on my total. This app is beyond frustrating and the tech support has come across as arrogant when I've dealt with them