Explore the Solar System -- on foot! SpaceWalking is an augmented-reality app that creates a virtual model of the Solar System around you, reduced to a walkable scale.
SpaceWalking requires iPhone 3GS, 4, or 4S. This version fixes the issue with crashes in iOS 5.
Watch the video at www.space-walking.com!
"Maybe one of the coolest [iPhone apps] out there."
"An original and innovative concept and if you are even remotely interested in space exploration, check it out."
"Really impressed with the innovation of this app, particularly in the use of mobile technology to bring scientific concepts closer to human experience. To me, this type of application represents the best of what technology can offer humans and society."
Walk across the street to visit Venus, Head down the block to Jupiter, and stretch your legs to get a glimpse of Pluto. As you walk around, your iPhone displays the the Sun, planets, moons and other objects, with all distances and object sizes to scale.
Adjust the distance scale to fit the solar system inside your neighborhood or across your city. Earn achievements and send reports of your journeys to Facebook and Twitter!
It's simple to use:
1) Choose a scale. The Solar System ranges from one to 40 kilometers (.6 to 24 miles) in size, depending on the scale you select.
2) Choose a Starting Point: You can start at the Sun and walk the entire Solar System, or start at one of the planets for area exploration.
3) Create the scale model of the Solar System. The Solar System is laid out in a straight line, so face the direction that you want to walk.
4) Switch to PlanetView and your device screen becomes a window into this virtual world. The distance to the nearest planet is shown in the blue bar at the top. When you come within range of a planet, the phone will vibrate and a "Visit" button will appear onscreen in PlanetView. This appears when you are about 28 million kilometers from a planet.
5) When Visiting a planet, you can touch the names of the planet and any moons to zoom in close. Be sure to notice the real-world diameters of these objects, displayed at the bottom of the screen, to truly appreciate the vast size of the Solar System and the smallness of the planets! Press the Back button to step back to the Visit view, and then touch Back again to resume walking around from planet to planet.
6) The virtual Solar System includes the Sun, eight planets, and several representatives of the Asteroid and Kuiper Belts. As you walk from planet to planet, keep an eye out for other objects, from asteroids to comets to spacecraft! Most of these are found among the inner planets.
7) Touch the Share button to post to Twitter and Facebook.
8) There are over a dozen Achievements you can earn by exploring the Solar System. Go to Options to access the list of Achievements. Achievements will appear in PlanetView when you earn them.
A good GPS signal is necessary for this app to work properly, so it is best used out-of-doors and, when outdoors, away from tall buildings. You will probably obtain weak GPS signals when indoors. Car dashboards can interfere with the compass, making the app perform poorly.
Go to our website for more tips and information: www.space-walking.com
FIxed crash bug on iOS 5
Ratings and Reviews
Gives a true appreciation for the scales of the planets relative to the enormities of their orbits, and is a good motivator for walks. Seeing the planets' labels stretched out ahead of you is really neat.
Lays out the distances in a straight line, which helps w/ understanding, _but_ makes it difficult to actually be able to get to some planets. Make sure you use this in large open spaces, or somewhere with a long stretch of straight road.
They have done a good job with simple facts, and good graphics for zooming in to the planets. Swinging around a planet by turning in place is pretty fun. Needs more 'Easter Eggs' in the form of probes you can visit (Voyagers?).
I've enjoyed this app. You can treat it as an educational piece about scales and the solar system. Or you can treat it as a game, in which you voyage through and around the solar system. The augmented reality element is nice and quite fun.
In practice, I've enjoyed it in the nice summer weather as a tool to get outside with my kids. It's a nice partner with some geocaching.
Definitely worthwhile. And for the price, how could you go wrong?
The app closes after trying to set up the largest scale space walk. Tried several times. Do not recommend!
- eduweb, inc.
- 68.9 MB
- Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi‑Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010 eduweb
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.