Montessori Crosswords - Spelling With Phonics Alphabet
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Learn to read using a proven phonics-based method !
• New-York Times - "The 3-year-old has learned to spell words through an app called Montessori Crosswords"
• Children's Technology Review - "Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design" - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "It is an extremely powerful early reading experience."
• "Best literacy app in my opinion" - Sue, National Board Certified Teacher
• Featured by Apple in "Apps for Learning to Read", "Apps for Learning to Write", "Best for Ages 5 and under" & "Words for the Wise"
• More than 190,000 units sold !
• Used in schools to learn phonics and spelling (25,000 units sold to schools !)
Based on the proven Montessori learning method, Montessori Crosswords helps kids develop their reading, writing, and spelling skills by building words from a set of 320 word-image-audio-phonics combinations using a phonics-enabled movable alphabet.
Montessori Crosswords helps kids learn and understand two fundamental concepts:
• First, the app helps kids understand that words are made up of sounds or phonemes (phonemic awareness). For each word, your kids can touch the empty rectangles where letters must be dragged to complete the word, and hear the sound the corresponding letter produces.
• Secondly, the app helps kids memorize the phonics associated with letters by providing a phonics-enabled alphabet where kids can touch each letter and hear the associated phonic.
Montessori Crosswords allows you to select words according to their difficulty or sound categories:
• Level 1 displays a three-letter word with no difficulty for beginning readers (CVC words)
• Levels 2 and 3 offer more complex words that contains more complex phonics (as long vowels sounds or blends), and also offer the option to automatically create multi-word crosswords in tens of thousands of different combinations
• Alternately, you can choose from 44 sound categories (i.e. choose words that contain a specific sound (for example, long a, “k” sound, and so on).
To create an enjoyable experience, the app also includes sounds, animations, and interactive visual effects that are displayed after a word is completed. Choose capital, lower-case, or cursive letter display for a greater challenge. Montessori Words also features a movable alphabet that allows open-ended activities for young children learning their letters.
• Wired's GeekDad - "5 Favorite Apps for Elementary School iPads" - "An excellent tool for learning spelling and early literacy (...) It can build from simple to more complex words making it usable by students from prep through to grade 3 or 4"
• commonsensemedia.org (rated 4) - “Montessori Crosswords is a great way for kids to develop literacy in an engaging way that feels like play."
• crazymikesapps.com (rated 4.5)- "This iPhone kids app is one of my favorite reading/writing learning apps. The application is easy to use for both parents and kids and focuses on reading/writing skills in a fun way."
• Teachers' Reviews:
-Sue on Iear.org - "I just have to say I love Montessori Crosswords both as a parent (to 2, 7, and 8 year olds) and K teacher. I like that the app is appropriate for the developmental levels of my students and all three of my kids"
-Jennifer (2nd Grade Teacher) - "this is a fantastic app (...) I can use it as is in the classroom tomorrow and benefit from it"
-Cindy - "This is one of my favorite educational apps. I highly recommend it for the children who are learning to read and spell. The kids also love the interactive artwork."
• Users' Reviews
"Fantastic - best reading tool for my daughter yet!"
"I am a Speech-Language Pathologist and use this application as a reward for my patients."
Universal App - works on your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Visit http://lescapadou.com for a video demo and tips on how to use the app as an educational tool.
Email questions or suggestions to email@example.com.
What's New in Version 4.7
New Feature !
• You can now focus on certain themes (animals, colors,...) in addition to the current possibility to select words according to difficulty and phonics.
•The app is also fully iOS7 compatible.
Thanks for your feedback ! Please continue to send feedback so we can make the app even better.
This app is such a great learning tool. My 5 year old uses the simple words with 3 sounds cross-words and is learning how to spell and sound out simple words with this app. The app also offers many levels, so it will continue to be useful as she learns.
I would also highly recommend Word Wizzard. Another fantastic app from this developer that is literally teaching my daughter how to spell and read.
Absolutely fantastic! Full, rich game; multi-level; excellent and creative rewards for the child after each success; allows for independent use. Highly recommended from this reading teacher.
My 3 year old is having so much fun with this app. She does it while her brothers do their school work and calls it her homework. Great app for busy parents.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 04, 2013
- Version: 4.7
- Size: 18.0 MB
- Languages: English, French
- Seller: pierre abel
- © L'Escapadou 2011
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.