By Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download and listen to your favorite podcasts directly from your iOS device without the need to sync with iTunes.
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at email@example.com!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
What's New in Version 2.9.0
• Apple Watch support
• You can now specify the name of the new podcast to create when importing media files.
• Fixes issue where enabling iCloud would only restore a few podcasts at a time.
• Fixes issue with blank podcast title when importing media files into a new podcast.
• Fixes issue with import/opening of some podcast feed schemes.
• Fixes issue with Show/Hide played/empty podcasts button disappearing.
• Fixes issue with Downcast not showing up in "Open In..." dialog when trying to open media files from other apps.
Great for Audiobooks
I use this for all the audiobooks that I've purchased outside of the Apple Store or ripped from the library. I previously used Apple's music app, but ever since they moved audiobooks to iBooks all my audiobooks have been broken and the tracks won't play in sequential order.
I was dismayed until I realized that Downcast could import audio files that I had the hint of a solution to my problems. Now I just connect my iPhone to the computer, fire up iTunes, and then drag the audio files onto the Downcast app in iTunes. Voila, problem solved.
With this latest update I can also rename the playlist for each set of imported files, which is great.
I listen to a lot of podcasts and I decided to give Downcast a chance after Apple completely mucked up the podcast listening experience in iOS 7/iTunes 11. I'm happy to report that this app delivers everything it promises, and more.
I now subscribe to and download all my podcasts directly to my phone, rather than subscribing in iTunes and syncing, and the overall user experience is way better. In particular, it handles playlist creation and maintenance way better than iTunes. Also, the extensive customization available per-podcast lets me set some shows to play faster and others to play at normal speeds, all without me lifting a finger.
Another thing worth noting is how smooth the transition was from subscribing via iTunes to using Downcast exclusively. The instructions for transferring subscriptions, available in Downcast's help file, were clear and straightforward, and I was up and going in about 10 minutes.
Overall this is an excellent app and I can't recommend it highly enough if you are a regular podcast listener.
Apple watch function doesn't have volume control
I've been using this app for some time and have been waiting for Apple Watch function. Now I have it and am disappointed it doesn't have a volume control. Also takes time to load.
I'll just go back to the Apple music player for my podcasts. The only problem with that is I have to start the podcast playing in the phone and then I can use the watch component.
- Category: News
- Updated: Aug 25, 2015
- Version: 2.9.0
- Size: 17.7 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- © 2010-2015 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.