Bike Maps — by Maplets
By Zaia Design
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Hundreds of high resolution bike maps for urban and rural areas, city streets, rail trails or even mountain bike trails across the world at your finger tips!
Whether you bike for recreation or commute, these maps will help plan your next bike ride through the city. Once downloaded these maps are available at an instant and doesn't require an internet connection. Many maps are also GPS-tagged, allowing you to locate yourself while biking.
Featured by Apple in 'Apps for the Great Outdoors'
If you also need maps for metros, subways, national parks, state parks, within the same app, check out our app Maplets which has access to over 10,000 maps worldwide! (If you own Maplets, you already have access to all the maps available here)
F E A T U R E S
• NEW! Add notes to any map:
– Add a pin to mark a meeting point, draw a line to measure a distance or add a path sketch a route
– Undo/redo and editing capabilities
• Every map download is free, with a continually updated source of maps.
• High Resolution and Fast – Much faster than viewing the equivalent PDFs on iPhones and iPads
• Once maps are downloaded, they are stored on the device for quick access even if you have slow or no internet connection at the location.
• GPS location for supported maps (see website for complete list)
• Organize your maps into folders
• Notification of new map updates
• Hotlinks to get up-to-date information such as weather, snow report. Requires live internet connection.
M A P S
Hundreds of maps are available, from metropolitan Manhattan to scenic Napa Valley. Here are a few examples:
New York City
If we don't have a particular map you need, you can request it within the app or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a biking authority or bike club wishing to publish your maps to thousands of users, simply sign up for an account at email@example.com
What's New in Version 3.5
A major update! Now optimized for both iOS 7 and iOS 6. This will also be the last version that supports iOS 5.
• Long tap on the map to quickly create a pin
• Improved search interface, faster downloads
• Indicator of GPS availability for each maplet
• GPS is automatically activated when opening a map, but you can still manually deactivate it to save battery.
• Open locations in either Maps or Google Maps, including your pins!
• Export a pin or path to GPX
• Twitter news feed in app-info view
Lots of trails for MA, one of the best resources for finding what is available.
Their seems to be some kind of conspiracy when it comes to getting any details on the trails.
It is hard to tell what is usable by a touring bike vs mountain bike. Hard to tell trails that are truly rail trails with well maintained paths (asphalt or hard packed sand) vs 100 year old trail that has not been maintained in any way and really only passable by a mountain bike. (Use color coding overlays on google maps)
Consider a checklist section
Road bike ready (asphalt)
Cycle cross Ready ( packed sand or gravel)
Mountain bike Ready
Downhill bike Ready
Consider video highlights (shows surfaces, sights and fauna)
No real gps maps of the trails, just pins at one end and picture of trail as provided at one point in time (many years out of date)
The functional usefulness and value for specific maps and your maps in general, would really Jump if it was interactive.
Google maps and Google plus really add functionality to their maps, but their bike data is really limited in terms of wayfaring and other info useful for cyclists. Also, look at what Adventure Cycling is doing overall; there may opportunities to really add dynamics to your maps and make a Great product.
This app is what I have been looking for. It already has a very complete library of maps. You can also request updates and the developers are actually quick to add them.
Plus, there is no per map charge like some other apps.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Jun 20, 2014
- Version: 3.5
- Size: 6.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Zaia Design Limited
- © 2014 Zaia Design
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.