By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
The Kindle app gives users the ability to read Kindle books on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000* books in the Kindle Store, including best sellers and new releases. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your most recent page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your Mac:
• Shop the Kindle Store for over 1,000,000* Kindle books, including New Releases. Over 610,000* of these books are $9.99 or less, including many of the New York Times Best Sellers.
• Start reading immediately with three free books: Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, and Aesop’s Fables. Thousands more free classics are available in the Kindle Store.
• Get free book samples – read the first chapter free before you decide to buy.
• Customize your reading experience by choosing the background color and font size.
• Instant dictionary word lookup with 250,000 entries and definitions. Select a word to view the definition. Use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic, or section you want to revisit.
• Simply click on either side of the screen or press the arrow keys to turn pages.
• You can also read your Kindle books on your Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, Amazon Fire Phone, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone, iPad, PC, Android-based device, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone 7-based device. Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
* Selection and price of books in the Kindle Store may vary by country.
What's New in Version 1.12.4
Kindle for Mac 1.12.4: This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
Solid, useful app
I’m surprised by the low reviews here, because I’ve found this to be a good option for reading my (usually significantly less expensive than iBooks) Kindle ebooks.
Overall, the design of the Kindle app is superior to iBooks: for example, you can put a book in more than one category. This is invaluable if you want to create a list of ‘Currently Reading’ or ‘To Be Read’ or ‘Already Read’ books in addition to other useful categories. (With iBooks it’s obnociously one category or nothing.)
The latest version of iBooks has a more modern look and feel and has more features (like being able to handle PDFs, or being able to buy books from within the app, or better font choices) but the Kindle app for the Mac still works well.
Poorly Designed for Students
Reading eTextbooks using this Kindle App for Mac can make annotations, definitions and reading experience very unenjoyable. First, for PDF-based eTextbooks there is no way to display pages side-by-side, like the regular print edition of the textbook would display, or like the Kindle apps for mobile devices allow. You have to look at a narrow, single page at a time, even though all desktop computer screens have wider displays rather than longer ones. Also, scrolling through PDF’s using a trackpad or scrolling mouse will jump semi-randomly through the pages of the book without any notice of the distance of the scroll taking place. Lastly, the annotation and highlighting bar will sometimes appear cut off outside the window of the app, and/or cover up the selection of the eTextbook that you’re trying to highlight, making it impossible to find the end of the phrase you’re highlighting.
back to the drawing board you go.
I have tried multiple times with syncing to my phone with books. that works to a small degree. I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME GET MY DOCUMENTS FROM MY KINDLE ON THE IPHONE TO LINK WITH THE KINDLE FOR MAC. you are MISSING the basic features for the mac app. it looks like you threw this app together just to get something out there. this needs to go back to the drawing board and start over. IT NEEDS TO HAVE ALL THE FUNCTIONS AND FEATURES THE KINDLE HAS FOR THE OTHER PLATFORMS. i get a lot of arc (advance reader copy) books sent to me and can only open them through the documents feature from my iphone. sometimes the print is too small to see and want to read it on my macbook air but alas i can not because you dont even have this basic feature/function. PLEASE FIX THIS. I have owned a kindle since the second ever kindle came out and Im truly disappointed with the lack of commitment you have given the kindle mac app.