By DEVONtechnologies, LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Think Mac OS X's Spotlight could use some help, especially when searching for text files? Download EasyFind, an alternative to (or supplement of) Spotlight and find files, folders, or contents in any text file without indexing. EasyFind is especially useful for those tired of slow or impossible indexing, outdated or corrupted indices, or those just looking for features missing in the Finder or Spotlight.
- Boolean operators, wildcards, phrases
- Extended Boolean operators, similar to DEVONthink and DEVONagent
- Immediate searches, no indexing required
- Finds invisible files and files inside packages (something Spotlight doesn't do)
- Displays the location of each file in a separate column
- Previews files using Quick Look (Mac OS X 10.5 or later)
- Provides contextual menus and services
- Supports drag-and-drop
- Very responsive, thanks to multithreading
- Uses very little memory
What's New in Version 4.9
This maintenance update adds the possibility to quickly select the current active Finder window for searching, allows dropping files and folders onto EasyFind's icon for setting the search target, and adds a Portuguese localization.
- NEW: Option Active Finder window added to location popup menu for easily searching in the folder of the active Finder window (and its subfolders).
- NEW: Files and folders can be dropped on the Dock or Finder icon of EasyFind to search in them or the enclosing folder of dropped files.
- NEW: Portuguese localization by Victor Figueiredo.
- Improved: More reliable and faster content searching.
- Improved: HFS+ catalog searching can now be cancelled almost immediately.
- Improved: More reliable and more efficient handling of Quick Look panel on Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and later.
- Fixed: Minor user interface issues.
Annoying search field won't stay clear
EasyFind finds items that Apple's broken Spotlight does not. For example, Spotlight is practically useless on NAS devices such as the Netgear ReadyNAS. When will Apple stop assuming that Mac users only need to search Mac hard drives?
Unfortunately, EasyFind has this bizarre habit of prepopulating the search field when the application is opened:
1) Suppose you open EasyFind, search for something, and then quit EasyFind. The next time EasyFnd is opened, it displays the most recently entered query in the search field.
2) Now matter how often I clear the search field in EasyFind, the last search query keeps reappearing whenever EasyFind is opened.
3) If you search for something in Safari using the Google search bar and then open EasyFind, it actually populates the search field with the Google search query from Safari. Since EasyFind does not search the internet, why is it pulling search queries from Safari?
Every other Apple program that has a search field (Address Book, iCal, iTunes, Mail, Safari) does not exhibit these behaviors.
I would prefer that EasyFind display a blank search field when it is opened. At the very least, give us the option!
Easy Find BUG
Only reason this review is getting 2 stars instead of 1 is because sometime Easy Find works great … but only when it's working properly.
I use Easy Find to search for files on my network, then drag and duplicate the file locally. However, quite randomly and regularly the drag and duplicate function stops working. Easy Find will still find the files and show me their location, but I can't copy them directly out of Easy Find anymore at that point. No matter if I quit and reopen, restart my computer, etc., nothing fixes the bug. The only solution has been to uninstall and reinstall the app. This is at least my 4th or 5th time in the app store downloading and installing Easy Find. If I knew of another app, I would be more than happy to give something else a chance after the time I've wasted dealing with this bug.
Note - I work with other mac users that also use Easy Find and have also encountered this issue multiple times. VERY FRUSTRATING when the software is working smoothly, then all of a sudden stops working properly.
Great Utility to find files and folders
This is an excellent application.
I am now a frequent user of it.
Believe it or not, when you try to get rid of/uninstall applications
from a Mac, the files don't all go away. And this can cause problems.
The built in search by Apple is garbage and doesn't find everything, or finds
everything on the drive.
I'd give an example, but I don't have to. In my opinion, this is a nice Application
for finding files, folders, both, it's very thorough. Excellent.
I am an I.T. Director for the last 13 years.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: May 16, 2012
- Version: 4.9
- Size: 1.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese
- Seller: DEVONtechnologies, LLC
- © 2001-2010 DEVONtechnologies, LLC
Compatibility: OS X 10.6 or later