Gmail - email by Google: secure, fast & organized
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The official Gmail app brings the best of Gmail to your iPhone or iPad with real-time notifications, multiple account support and search that works across all your mail.
With the Gmail app, you can:
- Undo Send, to prevent embarrassing mistakes
- Switch between multiple accounts
- Get notified of new mail fast, with notification center, badge and lock screen options
- Search your mail faster with instant results, predictions as you type & spelling suggestions
- Swipe to archive/delete, to quickly clear out your inbox
- Read your mail with threaded conversations
- Auto-complete contact names as you type from your Google contacts or your phone
- Respond to Google Calendar invites right from the app
- Organize your mail by archiving, labeling, starring, deleting and reporting spam
- Send and receive attachments
- See profile pictures as part of the conversation
What's New in Version 5.0.7
- Choose your favorite browser (Safari or Chrome) for opening links (in settings)
- Edit quoted content when replying to a message
- Copy/paste rich content when writing a message
- Select multiple messages: tap on the sender’s profile image or icon next to the messages
- Mark as read/unread: select the message and tap the ‘open/closed envelope’ icon in the top toolbar
Do not update!! Horrible!!
5 stars for worst post-update experience of the year. The new UX is just awful, especially if you have multiple email accounts. No longer able to see which accounts have new messages. If you have more than 99 unread emails it just says 99+. Now it takes two touch events to see all your accounts where before it was just one. And the new inbox layout is bloated with large, heavy fonts and user icons.
Worst new feature: they actually made it impossible to delete multiple messages from your inbox (You can only delete a message if you're reading it.) Got 10 messages to delete? Oh well. Swipe left to archive. Swipe right to archive. Really?? How many Google Engineers does it take to add simple delete functionality? Why did they remove the ability to select multiple messages for delete?? Hmm, I'd guess this feature goes against company policy to push users to archive messages so their drive fills up more quickly.
Google. Oh google. Always suffering from acute swelling of the frontal lobes. Pro Tip: having the best engineering talent in the world doesn't mean squat if the user experience is horrible.
Unrefined (still) - updates
Updates noted below. Still 1 star because it's worse than it had previously been.
The big update has regressed several things, and the smaller updates still have not addressed these:
First, the emails now *automatically* load images. I want the option back to choose when to load images for emails that I have not said to always load.
(FIXED)Second, the when opening the app, it no longer remembers the last view, and only opens to the "Unread" view. I want it back to open to my Inbox: Everything .
Third, the swiping function for archiving emails needs to have a stop, such that a short swipe has you tap the icon to archive or delete, and a long swipe performs the action without the additional tapping of the icon.
(FIXED)Fourth, there is no longer the ability to edit quoted text when replying or forwarding.
(SEMIFIXED) Fifth, links now open in Safari, not in a mini browser in app?
(FIXED) Sixth, no rich text in compose.
Yet another pointless update this week!
Still no fixes for the following --
- some emails are no longer modified to fit the screen or for mobile viewing, e.g. some newsletters and subscribed emails, one must utilize pinch and zoom unlike before where they would easily fit the screen for easier reading.
- bring back the ability to select multiple emails in the trash folder for deletion versus deleting all emails in the trash folder, e.g. if I have 10 emails in the trash folder but only wish to delete 2. Why can't I delete individual emails from the Trash folder? I don't wish to delete all, only some!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 08, 2016
- Version: 5.0.7
- Size: 201 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2016 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.