Garmin N. America
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download Garmin StreetPilot® Onboard North America and give your iPhone® or iPad® the best in GPS navigation with photoReal junction views, 3D buildings, speed/red light camera alerts and more.
Garmin StreetPilot North America is packed full of great navigation features from Garmin, the world leader in GPS navigation. The app is the first iPhone navigation app to include Garmin’s exclusive photoReal images of complex junctions to help you navigate with confidence. It also includes rich mapping with detailed 3D buildings and landmarks, lane guidance, speed/red light camera alerts and many other advanced features, while remaining simple and easy to use.
Optional in-app purchases include integrated real-time traffic updates, photoLive traffic cameras and fuel pricing.
• Industry-leading Garmin user interface
• Voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions including spoken street names
• Millions of preloaded points of interest including gas stations, restaurants and other businesses
• Integrated Google™ Local Search
• Maps for the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico installed on your device, so wireless coverage is not required to navigate
• 3D buildings and landmarks
• Lane assist with photoReal junction view provides a photo-realistic illustration of the correct lane for different maneuvers
• Integrated red light and speed camera database including community-generated alerts (U.S. & Canada)
• Speed limits for most major roads with the capability to report speed limit changes or errors
• Where Am I? emergency locator shows your exact latitude and longitude, the nearest address and intersection, and the closest hospitals, police stations and gas stations
• Exit services allow you to quickly see services such as restaurants, gas stations and lodging available at exits along your route
• Trip planner allows you to create a route with multiple stops in advance with automatic or manual ordering of destinations
• Address book integration so you can easily navigate to contacts
• Trip computer includes a compass heading and bearing indicator, resettable odometer and trip statistics such as arrival distance, next turn time and average moving speed
• Trip log enables an electronic breadcrumb trail that shows you where you’ve been
• Weather feature shows current conditions and a 5-day forecast
• Location sharing via Facebook or SMS
Garmin StreetPilot has been designed to run on iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, and it works on GPS-enabled iPads as well.
Map coverage- Garmin StreetPilot North America
United States, Canada, Mexico, Plus Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, The Bahamas, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Barthélemy, and Jamaica
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 2.10
- A new mechanism allows map updates without app updates
- photoLive traffic cameras are being displayed on the map now
- Glympse sharing via WhatsApp
- 64bit support
- Bug fixes and performance optimization
Works fine but map updates painful to complete
Years after this app launched, one big issue remains - each map update requires a complete re-download of all map data rather than applying incremental changes. This means you have to babysit the download process for several gigabytes worth of data every time the maps are updated (once every few months).
The Garmin map data server is bandwidth constrained - even on a very fast connection your map download will pause or go slowly at times. Expect to spend up to several hours letting your device do its download thing and checking it once in a while to make sure it’s still downloading.
Sometimes, as just happened to me, the map download will restart from the beginning. I had over 2GB downloaded of the 2.5GB map and it started over from the beginning.
Also a warning - if you have automatic app updates enabled and Garmin releases a new version, the new version will require a new map download immediately - otherwise you’ll have no maps available. Very unfortunately, new Garmin app versions do not give you a choice about continuing to use your existing installed maps so if you’re on the road or away from a fast connection, you’re now without Garmin maps. A big problem.
The Garmin map downloads continue to be a big pain in using this app.
A minor thing - wish the app was called Garmin NA for ex, or Garmin, and the app icon reflect the map region. Instead the app is called “N. America” - which I don’t personally like.
Imagine. A Map Program That Won't Map.
It took a couple of days, but I did get the map updates to load. So for those of you struggling, there is a glimmer of hope... Or so one would think.
Once I had the maps I set about laying in my next trip, an 800 mi jaunt. Instead of the rather excellent mapping I've become accustomed to, I get an error message, "Route calculation error. Not enough memory." Tech support suggested closing all other apps (something I'd already tried), or split the route in half. Dude, if I knew the midway point on my minimum highway use road trip, I wouldn't need your app in the first place! What the heck does the Garmin name stand for anymore?
I'm still hoping tech support will come through. If they do, I will update this review and add stars as performance improves.
No need for cell phone towers
I bought this ages ago, to go to Canada (before I had cell phone service there) and rural areas (parks without cell phone service). It is big, and the roads are often incorrect in Quebec, and the interfaces clunky. And it doesn't include free traffic. But the map service is still free for me!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Sep 24, 2015
- Version: 2.10
- Size: 153 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Garmin International
- © Garmin International, Inc. 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Panorama View 3D$9.99
- photoLive Traffic Cameras $5.99
- Urban Guidance$4.99
- Vehicle Display Integration$49.99