ABBYY TextGrabber easily and quickly digitizes fragments of printed text, reads QR codes and turns the recognized result into actions: call, write, translate into 100+ languages online and into 10 languages offline, search in the Internet or on maps, create events on the calendar, edit, voice and share in any convenient way.
When you point a camera at printed text, TextGrabber instantly captures information and recognizes it without connecting to the Internet. A unique real-time recognition mode extracts information in 60+ languages not only from documents but from any surfaces.
***** Winner of SUPERSTAR Award in the "Mobile Productivity App", "Mobile Image Capture App" and “Text Input” categories in Mobile Star Awards
“TextGrabber is probably the best app which adds another function to your iPhone: a scanner”- The Irish Times
“The results get delivered relatively fast, which is great. A must-have for students” - appadvice.com
“The Best Image-to-Text App for iPhone” - lifehacker.com
• Real-Time Translation directly on the camera screen without taking photos into 100+ languages online (full-text translation) and 10 languages offline (word-by-word translation).
• Innovative Real-Time Recognition mode based on ABBYY RTR SDK technology will digitize printed text directly on the camera screen without taking photographs.
• Text recognition in 60+ languages, including Russian, English, German, Spanish, Greek, Turkish, Chinese and Korean, without an Internet connection.
• All links, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, postal addresses and dates after digitization become clickable: you can click on the link, phone, write email, find the address on the maps or add an event to the calendar.
• Siri shortcuts. To recognize last photo with Siri create Siri Shortcut in iPhone settings.
• QR code reader.
• Powerful text-to-speech capability with the VoiceOver system feature.
• Adjustable font sizes and audio prompts to assist visually impaired people: you can increase the font size and use sound prompts to interface elements.
• Share the results to any app installed on the device via the system menu.
• All extracted text is automatically backed up and can be easily found in the “History” folder
The free version is ad-supported and provides 3 text recognition and translation.
With ABBYY TextGrabber you can save and translate any printed text you need with a tap of your screen:
• Texts from TV screen or smartphone
• Labels and counters
• Travel documents
• Magazine articles and book fragments
• Manuals and instructions
• Recipe ingredients, etc.
OCR HINT: Please select the appropriate language (up to three at a time) before recognition
Premium Account auto-renewable subscription allows to use all functions of this app. Subscription length period is 1 month. The subscription is automatically renewed at the end of the period unless you choose to cancel the subscription at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. You can manage your subscription and switch off the auto-renewal by accessing your Account Settings after purchase. You cannot cancel the current subscription during the active subscription period. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited if you purchase a subscription to that publication.
ABBYY TEXTGRABBER IS THE FASTEST WAY TO DIGITIZE, TRANSLATE AND ACTION ANY PRINTED INFORMATION!
Please leave a review if you like ABBYY TextGrabber. Thank you!
TextGrabber is now fully compatible with iOS 12 and can easily understand Siri voice commands. To add "Recognize last photo" command: Go to iPhone settings > Siri and Search > Suggested Shortcuts, tap "+". Then record this command with your voice and it will be added to "My Shortcuts".
To activate the command, simply tell Siri: "Recognize last photo" and it will open it in the “Photo" recognition mode in TextGrabber.
You can write us on the App Store and share your experiences with TextGrabber, Siri, and iOS 12.
Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our products and services.
Ratings and Reviews
Capturing printed words and magically morphing them into easy-to-edit digital text is TextGrabber’s bread and butter. But we love it nearly as much for the sci-fi cool factor of being able to instantly translate Italian restaurant menus, French fashion magazines, and Japanese graphic novels into our native language.
One of ABBY’s best products
While I have had my gripes about ABBYY’s price and what I believe is a clear loss in the quality of the apps (ie it’s still hard to find better desktop software!), I nonetheless have to say this app is excellent. I am a PhD candidate in the humanities, and had to pass four research languages in order to complete the program. That meant I had to learn to translate quickly, and recognize common phrases in each language. If one is looking for the parsing or definition of a word then a lexicon is best, but if one needs to actually translate and work through sentence structure, then this is one of the most helpful apps I’ve found. I continue to use it for quick translation or to check my own rendering.
*i do echo previous comments regarding whether the app utilizes the hardware of the latest iPhone effectively (it doesn’t); the iPhones have the best cameras on the market, and yet the ABBYY apps seem to struggle to take decent pictures. Sadly, it’s often easier and more accurate to take a picture with the native camera app and then import into the suite of ABBYY apps. (I have received multiple responses to this issue telling me I’m doing it wrong, but I have an actual lighting setup and a device that holds the phone over the page...I’m sure I will get corrected again 🙄 but there is some difference - that said ABBYY is still the best available).
Dear Cardinal 55, we're happy to have you as a user, thank you so much for high rating and such a detailed feedback! We'll consider all your notes :) Best regards, ABBYY Mobile
New suggestion in review
Please think about adding ability to replace replace/all in text that has been captured. Or a list of word/sentences to never render into ocr’d text. I’d pay for this as an in app purchase!
1: please add more flexibility. Like ios share sheet extension access to send to textgrabber. Ability to take screenshot in iOS 11 and immediately send to textgrabber by clicking on the screenshot thumbnail. Ability to edit straight in textgrabber from where a photo is full screen opened from camera roll eg three little dots within circle ...
2: The latest ipads and phones are quite powerful. Looking forward to the app, hopefully this one, that let’s me upload a OCR pdf and automatically snapshot all the pages into editable text. That will be the holy grail and I’d surely pay for the update or in app purchase.
Hi, dear user! Thanks so much for your feedback :) We will consider your notes. About 2. TextGrabber is not intended to scan whole pages, only small text fragments. To scan multi-pages documents and save them to PDF, please, try FineScanner. And wait for the updates ;) Best of luck, ABBYY Mobile Team.
- ABBYY USA Software House Inc
- 137.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017, ABBYY Production LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- Full-text translator $3.99
- Scan & Translate Live Monthly $1.99
- Premium languages $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.