Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 8th edition
By Oxford University Press
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Improve your English language skills with the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. Understand what words mean. Learn how to say them. Know how to use them.
The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) is a world best-seller. It is now available as an app, with the full A-Z dictionary, real voice (not text to speech) audio, and My View to customize your screen. It has been developed by the same editors from Oxford University Press who created the printed dictionary, working together with Paragon Software, a leading software developer for mobile devices.
Find exactly what you are looking for, fast:
• Listen to real British and American voices pronounce words and example sentences.
• Access the high quality audio online, or download all 116,000 example sentences to listen offline
• All the dictionary text is live- tap to instantly look up any word
• Use My View to choose how much information appears on your screen – hide IPA, example sentences, pictures, synonyms etc. – tap to show the full entry again
• Find words with similar or opposite meanings in the integrated Thesaurus
• Use Full Dictionary Search to find your word in any phrase or example sentence in the dictionary
• ‘Did you mean…?’ function and wildcard search allow you to find a word even if you don’t know the spelling
• Create your own list of favourite words
• Tap on phonetics, abbreviations and symbols for help with what they mean
• View History to see the last 100 words you looked up
Learn more with a dictionary that’s written for learners of English
• 184,500 words, phrases and meanings explained clearly
• Easy-to-understand explanations written using the 3000-word defining vocabulary
• Use the Oxford 3000 keyword entries to learn the most important words in English
• Look up over 57,000 synonyms and opposites
• Learn words in their natural context with over 83,000 collocations (words that go together) highlighted
• Find the Academic Word List words easily – they are all labelled
• Notes give extra help in difficult areas, for example the differences between similar words, tricky points of grammar, or British and American usage
• Find information about British and American culture
• 1000 new words and meanings keep you up-to-date with today’s vocabulary and usage
• 1300 words illustrated in groups build your topic vocabulary. You can enlarge and explore the illustrations.
• Access over 95,000 extra example sentences
• Study all verb forms, and word origins
What's New in Version 1.4.1
We have fixed two issues with the search functionality:
•slow response to user typing in the search box
•number entries appearing wrongly in the Did you mean? results list
All your Favourite entries and new Favourites folders will be preserved when you update.
Please note, if you have not downloaded the spoken sentences and wish to do so, you will need to update the app first because the download will no longer work from older versions.
Need the function of directly looking up a word from any text
It would be great if the dictionary could automatically translate the word from the clipboard just like Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, or could let the user to just select a word in a text such as a webpage and click a button to look it up in this dictionary directly without typing the whole word.
Some words are missing
Some words are missing like sneak a peek
One of the best
I really appreciate your hardworking.Regular updates are awesome.
Just do something about pronunciations icons those are near each other and clicking them is a bit annoying thank you
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 20, 2013
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 454 MB
- Languages: English, Japanese, Russian
- Seller: Oxford University Press ELT
- © 2011 Oxford University Press
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.