Word Wizard - Talking Movable Alphabet & Spelling Tests for Kids
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• "Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• Featured by Apple as 'New and Noteworthy' for iPad and iPhone, and in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Used in US Schools (40K units sold to schools)
• More than 140K Units Sold !
Word Wizard is a unique app that lets kids hear the sounds of letters and words using a talking movable alphabet. Featuring advanced text to speech capabilities, the app can pronounce and spell-check an unlimited number of original words and sentences built using a phonics movable alphabet.
Word Wizard also provides spelling practice with a list of more than 1,400 questions and answers, and the best is that you can add your own words to create any spelling quiz, and track the progress of your kids thanks to detailed reports.
Accolades and Awards
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction, because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities and touchscreen, so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
Featured as 'New and Noteworthy' for iPad and iPhone, and in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
• Wired's GeekDad
"This is a fantastic app for young children, right through to children in later elementary school which makes it an app worth having on your iPad."
"This is a terrific educational learning tool for emergent readers. It’s also a fantastic resource for spelling practice."
Editor's Choice - "This is the perfect app for any child who is learning how to read, or to supplement advanced vocabulary lessons through fifth grade."
• “I love the talking alphabet. (...) The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators.”
Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D
Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education,University of Maine
-> Check demo on YouTube to understand how this app is unique: http://bit.ly/wordwizardvideo2
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell-check any word or number
• Natural Sounding Voice (two American voices and one British voice)
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or Qwerty Keyboard
• Optional magnetic grid to ease letters placement
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option (dragging letters is then optional)
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing more or less letters on the board)
• Voice Transformer (speed,tone) for added fun
• You can even customize pronunciation of any word
Fun Spelling Tests Activity
Word Wizard also features hundreds of fun spelling quizzes using the talking Movable Alphabet. Features of this activity are:
• 184 word lists of 10 words: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1000 most frequently Used Words, body parts,...
• Create custom Word Lists by entering custom words and sentences, and even share lists
• User Profiles and Detailed Spelling Test Reports
• Hints are available if kids do not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
Please send your suggestions to email@example.com. We are listening to our users to improve our products.
What's New in Version 3.6
Thanks for your enthusiasm about Word Wizard !
This version is a small update to support iOS7 & Kids Category
Do not hesitate to send us suggestions for the next update (use the "Contact" button inside the app).
If you’ve got a moment, please rate the app - or re-rate this version - to tell people it's a great app and so we can keep free updates coming. We've included a shortcut (under the "Contact" button) inside the app to ease the process. Thanks!
Again, thanks for your great feedback that help us to make the app better and better - we are listening to our users to improve our products!
I am a Special Education teacher, working with K-1 students. Over the years, I have downloaded over 850 educational apps. Word Wizard is one of a handful I use every day. I love that we can now put in multiple users. Support is wonderful, very fast and responsive. I use the app in two ways. The spelling quiz is very easy to customize and terrific for independent practice at any level. I also use the movable alphabet for kids during reading time. If they can't remember a difficult word or a name, we just type it in and kids can touch it as often as they like. If kids come to a word they don't know, they type in a few letters, or the whole word, and are able to keep on reading without asking for adult help. An outstanding app that just gets better with every update!
Great App for Developmentally Delayed Child
Thank you so much for this app, I can tell a lot of thought and detail went into it. My child has a developmental delay which makes spelling/reading challenging so I was very happy to find a spelling app that fits our needs perfectly. I was impressed with the built in lists which are plentiful and nicely categorized.
Though geared for a much younger child I believe it will keep my kid's interest for some time as we can create our own user defined lists of his favorite things like WWE wrestlers, pop stars, etc. The explosion of stars upon the correct spelling of the word for the "I won" feeling is also a nice touch. When my kid was younger it was a big thrill for him to know he succeeded each step along the way.
App-solutely great app!
Word wizard is worth every penny and then some. I love that the vowels on the moveable tiles are a different color than the consonants. The voice is very human-like and easy to understand. Love that you can add your own word lists! The company support is very responsive. During the summer, I requested a way to access the usernames without having to enter a parent password each time and they added that capability in a recent upgrade. For our LD population, this app is invaluable!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Sep 18, 2013
- Version: 3.6
- Size: 316 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch
- Seller: pierre abel
- © L'Escapadou 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.