Word Wizard - Kids learn to spell with talking alphabets, spelling tests & fun phonics games
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times
Word Wizard offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10:
• A talking Movable Alphabet that allows kids to experiment with phonics and word building thanks to the advanced text to speech engine.
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty with a list of more than 1,400 questions and answers. Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes. Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports.
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• Featured by Apple as 'New and Noteworthy' for iPad and iPhone, and in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Used in US Schools (60K units sold to schools)
• More than 240K Units downloaded !
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or Qwerty Keyboard
• 4 keyboards available: letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option (dragging letters is optional)
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or less letters on the board)
• Voice Transformer (speed and tone) for added fun
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 184 built-in word lists of 10 words: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
• Share Word Lists you’ve created
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction, because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities and touchscreen, so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
• Wired's GeekDad
"This is a fantastic app for young children, right through to children in later elementary school which makes it an app worth having on your iPad."
Editor's Choice - "This is the perfect app for any child who is learning how to read, or to supplement advanced vocabulary lessons through fifth grade."
• “I love the talking alphabet. (...) The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education,University of Maine
Please send any suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We listen to our users to improve our products.
What's New in Version 4.0
Biggest Update ever !
• 2 New Spelling Activities to Work on Word Lists: Word Practice and Scrambled Letters
• Record Audio to Replace any Word or Phonic
• 2 New Keyboards to Work on Digraphs (one for vowels like "oo", and one for consonants like "ch")
• New U.S. male voice
• Easy Word Lists Sharing with nearby devices
• Rotation bug fixed
A fun and unique way to practice spelling!
Word Wizard is an attractive and colorful app that really draws you in. The Movable Alphabet activity is really fun for kids of all ages and lets kids "play with words" at their own pace. The Spelling Quiz is great for practicing common words and you can even create your own words lists! THIS IS A REALLY BIG UPDATE!!! New activities, voices, keyboards and word list features! A+
Word Wizard is a must have for parents, teachers, and clinicians working to improve a child's ability to write and spell. It's open ended, user friendly, and customizable design insures repeated use. There are so many options to tailor it to an individual child's needs, and it grows with your child. Highly Recommended.
This is really a great app. Highly recommended for children learning to build words. Would like to see a more natural voice, but it's easily 5 stars as it is. Really a must have in kinder and 1st grade classrooms.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Dec 03, 2014
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 373 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch
- Seller: pierre abel
- © L'Escapadou 2011-2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.