By Slap Happy Larry
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• “The artwork is rich and beautiful and the animated interactions are imaginative and fun.” - New York Times
• “Overall this is a phenomenal digital app that takes storytelling to another level.” - Digital Storytime
• “A beautiful, resonant story about the way we leave behind childish things...” - Kirkus Reviews
• “A captivating transformation of a teen, with great re-readability…” - Curated Book Apps For Kids
• “The Artifacts is highly sophisticated, provoking thought at several levels…” - iPad App Reviews by Gill Robins
• “Everyone has been asking, “Where are the story apps for tweens and teens?” Well, here’s one for them. Will they respond to it? You bet.” - School Library Journal
• “The Artifacts is a celebration of the power of individual thought and imagination. It is at the top of Bloom’s triangle. I highly recommend it for middle school iPads.” - Literacy Journal
The Artifacts is a brand new, original picture book created especially for iPad/iPod Touch and iPhone.
Designed for children aged 4 and up, this is an interactive picturebook about a boy called Asaf who loves to collect.
It is inspired in equal parts by: childhood collections of bizarre and unlikely things, memories of moving house, the minimalist movement, and the joy of creating imaginative worlds of one’s own.
READ *THE ARTIFACTS* AND EXPLORE ASAF’S IMAGINATION:
• Tap the screen to make Asaf’s collections appear
• Help him to find treasures on bin-day
• Race with his leaf-munching caterpillars
• Day scenes change with a tap into exciting, creature-filled nights
• Rub-to-reveal Asaf in a wizard’s basement, or brushing his teeth in a steamy mirror
• Watch his mind fill with books as he reads in the library
• Or floating around on a tiny planet in space…
• With 21 hand-drawn pages, the narration plays automatically to keep readers immersed in the reading experience.
• Narration and sound effects can each be turned off from the main menu.
• Beautiful music score, composed by New Zealand musician Chris Hurn especially for this story.
• We believe young readers deserve immersive, non-commercialised reading experiences even in the digital age, so we will never advertise new products from our main menu or from within the story. This means young readers can enjoy our stories without accidentally navigating away from the app and onto the Internet. If you would like to keep up-to-date with our latest projects, please ‘like’ us on Facebook, or check out our webpage (accessible in-app only from an unobtrusive About Page).
• This is a universal app, so buy it only once to read on your family’s various iPad/iPod touch/iPhone devices.
Recommended Ages: 4-7, 8-12.
Categories: Book, Entertainment.
Please share your review below. We’d love to know what you think!
For comments, suggestions and technical issues, don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What's New in Version 1.2
* Support for iPad retina display on the new iPad.
* Fixed button flickering on Shadows on the Line page on iPad2.
* New artwork for the About page.
* added "Rate This App" link to about page.
* Fixed some of the credits.
Beautiful and thought provoking
I downloaded this app for free, ready to be disappointed. By the end it had completely won me over with its groovy illustrations, moody music, and meaningful interactivity. I recommend this for grades 6-12, something to load on your library or classroom iPads to inspire students to turn setbacks into opportunities, as Asaf does when his parents take away his physical collections and he resorts to forming and collecting thoughts. Many delicious vocabulary words.
Wonderful book! Creative, inspires interest in learning and vocabulary while also being fun. The content will appeal to middle school children and beyond and the format will hold the interest even of students who need a little extra motivation to get them reading. Be sure to go to the information page and follow the link to the web site. Lots of other information. Can't wait for the next book.
Beautiful all around!
I just "read" this with my 5 year old and 3 year old...and they were completely engaged! Believe it or not, meaningful conversations can occur with kids this age when presented with thought provoking concepts. I look forward to more apps like this.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Mar 16, 2012
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 94.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dan Hare
- © Slap Happy Larry
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.