By Word Magic Software
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Featured by Apple in “New & Noteworthy” in USA, Spain and other countries, this Thesaurus has been many a time rated by our customers in the App Store as the most outstanding, comprehensive and extensive English thesaurus available anywhere. Now, with the desktop version, Word Magic is outperforming itself, fixing most issues requested by Users in the past and adding many bonus features you will find in no other synonyms dictionary app. Guaranteed!
WORKS OFFLINE - Connection required only for voices and spell-check.
What makes this English Thesaurus unique?
• The fact that you may enter set phrases, not only single terms, as valid entries.
• The fact that you may obtain synonyms of parts of speech usually not included in other thesauri, such as exclamations, prepositional phrases and idiomatic verbs. Even proverbs have their synonyms!
• The sheer number contained in the database, no less than 1,049,000 synonyms and 283,000 antonyms, is not equaled by any book in existence.
• Meaning Descriptors to help distinguish between the different meanings a word.
• Strict coherence of each synonym set. Transitive verbs yield only transitive synonyms. Intransitive verbs yield intransitive synonyms. Meanings and connotations of words are never mixed.
• Embedded Tutorial.
• You may now enter plurals as valid entries.
• Background color and font selection from among 19 different themes.
• Fuzzy Search: Detects misspelled words and offers close suggestions.
• Natural sounding voices in English.
Voices powered by iSpeech.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
Please note this is a Thesaurus and therefore includes only English synonyms, no translations nor verb conjugations. Our General Reference Dictionary includes all those.
* Fixed problems with favorite words
* Minor bug fixes
In addition to the great function of this app, is the visually appealing and customizable background. Unfortunately, the brown app icon does not preview the graphic delight that awaits inside, nor does it invite permanent display on one's menu bar.
Though this app has amazing potential, I would prefer the synonyms and antonyms stacked in a column, rather than lined in a row, as that would likely make it easier to compare and contrast. I would also like for the search bar to auto-activate when the app is reopened, so I don't have to click into the search bar each time.
Overall, I am pretty impressed and pleased with the fantastic value. Great Work!
The app is quite useful, but the content quality tends to vary word by word. It'd be nice to see more synonyms added and a clearer arrangement. My biggest gripe with the app is the imposibility to reduce the size of the window - quite annoying really.
Do not waste your money
If you are looking for a thesaurus with some teeth - this is not it. This provides limited options and is not flexible.
For instance, you want other choices for a simple word - like 'programs'. Here is the only thing you get:
1. (software) «Computer Science, concrete
THAT'S IT!! Hope you were not interested in any other uses of this word!
I wish I would have not spent money on this.