Super Speller: Create Your Own Spelling Tests
By Quiet Spark
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Featured by Apple in Education New and Noteworthy •
• Nominee for Best Elementary Student App in the 2011 Best App Ever Awards •
Each week children all over the world bring home a list of words to study for their weekly spelling / vocabulary tests at school. Studying for these tests can be ineffective, frustrating, and let's face it, boring for both kids and parents. Super Speller was created to solve all of these problems.
Our app was designed, from the beginning, to address the needs of real kids studying for tests that they are graded on at school. You see, our own son struggled with spelling and though we practiced with him often, he was easily frustrated with these study sessions. And though we did our best to patiently work with him, it could be trying for us as well. There had to be a better way. That's when we had the idea for Super Speller.
Super Speller was truly a family project. Our main goal was to create an app that made studying easy and fun. As the app grew, our son was able to tell us what did and didn't work for him, what was confusing, and what made him smile. And we were able to add the things we needed, as parents, to make sure he was making progress and studying each week. We even included friends and neighbors by adding the ability to share spelling tests with one another. We knew we were on to something when one of our friends remarked "you know it's a good app when your kid brings you the iPad and asks 'Mom, can you please make me another spelling test?'". And our son? Since using Super Speller he has scored a 100 or better on every single test at school. It's made such a difference that even his teacher contacted us to find out what he's been doing differently!
Here's how it works:
1. Your child brings home their spelling / vocabulary words from school.
2. You or your child add the words to Super Speller and record the word and a short sentence if you like.
3. Your child can then study those words in several ways and, when they're ready, take a test.
4. Parents can check the results of each test and identify words that might require a little extra help.
5. Your child takes the real test at school, gets good grades, grows up to be a doctor*, and buys you nice things**!
* We can't currently guarantee the doctor thing.
** Or the buying of nice things.
Super Speller lets your child study at their own pace in several different ways:
• A practice test with a fun character that provides feedback based on the spelling of the word. Spell it correctly and his smile gets bigger. Misspell a letter and he becomes concerned. Misspell a lot and, well, lets just say the poor guy can get very distraught when it comes to badly misspelled words.
• Word Search Puzzles created from your weekly spelling words. Each word search puzzle is generated randomly so you're virtually assured of getting a different puzzle each time.
• Good old fashioned memorization. In addition to a list of the spelling words, you can access a dictionary entry for each word. Perfect for vocabulary tests or spelling bee contestants looking for an edge in the next competition.
These are just a few of the features that we've added to Super Speller. Super Speller also has different themes, a fun celebration event with balloons you can toss around or pop, a test timer, word shuffle, support for diacriticals, and more.
Quiet Spark recognizes the importance of providing an education environment you can trust. Our apps:
• Do not collect any personal data
• Do not include any advertising
• Do not include any in-app purchases
• Do not send notifications
• Do not track location
• Includes an email / web link to contact support
Detailed information: http://www.quietspark.com/superspeller/privacy/
What's New in Version 3.4
• Increased support for tests with words that do not use a latin based alphabet and words containing ligatures.
• Enhanced support for the most recent releases of iOS.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Mar 11, 2014
- Version: 3.4
- Size: 18.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Quiet Spark LLC
- © 2011 Quiet Spark LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.