Who says spelling can't be all fun and games? Super Speller includes games like word search, word scramble, and an amazing augmented reality block hunt game all based on the words you choose. Our games makes studying fun and improve spelling at the same time. After playing, use Super Speller to take tests and track progress.
- Features -
• Block Hunt AR game where alphabet blocks fall around you in the real world. Find those needed to spell each word.
• Word Search and Scramble Puzzles created from your weekly spelling words. Each is generated randomly so you're virtually assured of getting a different puzzle each time.
• Practice tests with instant feedback from a fun character that watches as each word is spelled. Spell it correctly and his smile gets bigger. Misspell a letter and he becomes concerned. Misspell a lot and, well, let's just say the poor guy can get very distraught when it comes to badly misspelled words.
• Additional features like themes, a fun celebration event with balloons you can toss around or pop, dictionary access to improve vocabulary tests and/or spelling bee prep, test sharing, test timer, word shuffle, diacritical support, VoiceOver support, and more.
- Our Story -
Each week children all over the world bring home a list of words to study for their weekly spelling / vocabulary tests at school. Studying for these tests can be ineffective, frustrating and, let's face it, boring for both kids and parents. Super Speller was created to solve all of these problems.
Our app was designed, from the beginning, to address the needs of real kids studying for tests that they are graded on at school. You see, our own son struggled with spelling and though we practiced with him often, he was easily frustrated with these study sessions. And though we did our best to patiently work with him, it could be trying for us as well. There had to be a better way. That's when we had the idea for Super Speller.
Super Speller was truly a family project. Our goal was to create an app that made studying easy and fun. As the app grew, our son was able to tell us what did and didn't work, what was confusing, and what made him smile. And we were able to add the things we needed, as parents, to make sure he was making progress and studying each week. We even included friends and neighbors by adding the ability to share spelling tests with one another. We knew we were on to something when one of our friends remarked "you know it's a good app when your kid brings you the iPad and asks 'Mom, can you please make me another spelling test?'". And our son? Since using Super Speller he has scored a 100 or better on every single test at school. It's made such a difference that even his teacher contacted us to find out what he's been doing differently!
- How it works -
1. Your child brings home their spelling / vocabulary words from school.
2. You or your child add the words to Super Speller and record the word and a short sentence if you like.
3. Your child can then study those words in several ways and, when they're ready, take a test.
4. Parents can check the results of each test and identify words that might require a little extra help.
5. Your child takes the real test at school, gets good grades, grows up to be a doctor and buys you nice things!*
* Okay we can't promise the doctor thing or buying of nice things
- Distinctions -
• Featured by Apple in Education New and Noteworthy •
• Certified family-friendly by Moms With Apps •
• Nominee for Best Elementary Student App in the Best App Ever Awards •
- Privacy Disclosure -
Quiet Spark recognizes the importance of providing an education environment you can trust. We do not collect any personal data, include any advertising or in-app purchases, send notifications, or track location. We do include an email / web link to contact support. For detailed information visit: http://www.quietspark.com/superspeller/privacy/
This update is mostly focused on making audio handling better and easier, but we didn't stop there! Here are the highlights:
• In a hurry and no time to record each word? No problem! Super Speller will now speak the words if no recording is found.
• We now show an audio meter when recording to make it easier to know if you're speaking loud enough.
• Low volume message added to make it easier to know when you might need to turn up the volume.
• Super Speller now plays nice with audio from other apps so you can listen to music while you study and play.
• Improved layout for Word Search.
• Many other minor tweaks and bug fixes.
Also, if you have a moment to rate or review us on the App Store it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for using Super Speller!
Ratings and Reviews
This mom gives 5 stars!
I accredit this app with raising our son’s spelling grade. We’ve been using it for more than a year and now also use it for our daughter. There are features in this app that I wasn’t able to find in others. ie: ability to create weekly lists, voice recording, smiley hints, practice tests, and reward. Cannot recommend it enough!
Wish there were more activities…
For a paid app, I was hoping that "several" activities meant more than just two. It's good, but this is free in many other places. More activities would make me feel better about my purchase. My six-year-old son will do it once because it's new, once more because I ask him to, and then I will be off to find another app with more activities.
Need to delete lists! Please fix! Nice to create our own word lists
My 2nd grader uses this to practice spelling every week. It would be nice if there were a few more activities (hangman?). I like that I can enter his list of spelling words from school. We also like that simple user interface.
A recent update took away the ability to delete word lists. Please fix!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your review. We’re sorry it took so long to reply. You can still delete word lists. We tried to simplify the app by using a standard gesture. In Manage Test, you can swipe the name of the test you would like to delete to the left and the delete button will appear. We have also just released an update which, includes a new Hangman like game that can be used on devices supporting ARKit.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.