Hal Higdon Marathon Training Program - Novice 2
By Bluefin Software, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get ready for your first Marathon by training with Hal Higdon the best known running author and athlete. His training programs have helped thousands reach their running goals, and this marathon app will help you get to the starting line with confidence.
Hal Higdon's many accomplishments include:
* Author of 35 books, including the best-selling Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide and a new novel, Marathon
* Completed 111 marathons winning four overall as well as numerous age-group firsts
* Holds the current M40 and M45 American records for the steeplechase
* Is one of the founders of Round Runners Club of America
* Has contributed to Runner's World magazine longer than any other writer
ABOUT THE TRAINING PLAN - NOVICE 2
This Novice 2 Marathon Training Program is designed both for beginning runners who want to prepare for their first 26.2-mile race, but also for experienced runners interested in a fail safe program that will allow them to excel without making excessive demands upon their time.
Novice 2 is designed for those who have been running a while, who may even have finished a 10K or half marathon, and the marathon presents the next step upward. There is slightly more mileage in Novice 2 versus Novice 1, just enough to guarantee a higher level of readiness come race day.
Before starting to train for a marathon, you need to possess a basic fitness level. If you are over age 35, you probably should see your doctor for a physical exam, but assuming no major health problems, most healthy people can train themselves to complete a 26.2-mile race.
The training plan assumes you have the ability to run 3 miles, three to four times a week. If that seems difficult, consider a shorter distance for your first race. You can try our best selling Ease into 5K app which will prepare you to run 3 miles three times a week.
* Novice 2 Training Plan
* Eighteen weeks long
* Run four days a week
* Cross train one day a week
* Rest two days a week
* Three regular runs a week + one long run each week
* Long runs range from 6 to 20 miles
* The plan finishes with the Marathon race day
* Hal Higdon's voice will encourage you during your runs
* Distance and pace automatically tracked with built in GPS
* Metric units support
* Training schedule at your fingertips
* Home screen shows a visual indicator of your training progress
* Select your own music and skip tracks without leaving the app
* Half point alert, letting you know when to turn back
* Share your workouts on Facebook and Twitter right from your app
* Lock Screen prevents accidental button activation during workouts
* Excellent customer support
* Journal screen lets you document your run
* Keep track of your runs on the in app calendar
* Beautiful graphs show your progress
* Set a goal for distance, pace, weight loss, and distance ran
* See your run on a map*
* Sync your runs with TrainingPeaks software online directly from your mobile device
- Redesigned workout Journal
- You can now see distance and average pace in the List
- The List view shows the cumulative distance you have run with the app
- The List view shows your fastest mile from all your workouts (for workouts completed after this update has been installed)
- Journal entry screen now allows for easier data entry with larger fields
- For treadmill runs you can easily input your treadmill speed and it will be converted into minute per mile (or kilometer) pace
- You can change the workout day in the journal entry
*Feature not available on iPod touch. Since iPod touch does not have a built-in GPS antenna, the app will ask you for your pace or treadmill speed and will then calculate the time it will take you complete the required distance.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.4
- Optimized for iOS 7
- Dropped support for iOS 5
- New RunHelper Connect features
It won't shut up
This thing yaps and talks and goes on for like 3 min and the off and on EVEN with all the audio cues turned OFF.
I bought it for the daily training distances and I can see that's all it's worth!
ismoothRun is by far the best running program as you can program your distance and pace or program speed work and on and on.
Plus the online training lists Monday as you rest day and this makes Monday the start of your mileage for the week which completely does not match his whole concept of training to rest on Monday and no way to change start dates in the program. How hard can it be to program that - not hard at all. Oh well. It great for the schedule but $10 for a schedule is steep.
Dates are wrong
The dates in the app do not match. For example, January 21,2014 (Tuesday) shows as a Monday in the app. This is confusing.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Dec 30, 2013
- Version: 3.4
- Size: 26.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Bluefin Software, LLC
- © Bluefin Software, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Optional 3 Month Subscription$4.99
- Optional 6 Month Subscription$8.99
- Optional 12 Month Subscription$14.99