Animoog for iPhone
By Moog Music Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
** HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS **
Must have iPhone 4, 4S or iPod Touch 4th gen. minimum to run Animoog for iPhone.
Animoog is Moog Music's first professional synthesizer for iOS devices, and was the first music app in history to hit number one in the App Store on the day of release. Additionally, in the 2011 App Store Rewind, Apple named Animoog one of the best apps of the year.
Powered by Moog's new Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), Animoog allows you to move dynamically through an X/Y space of unique timbres to create a constantly evolving and expressive soundscape.
Animoog captures the vast sonic vocabulary of Moog synthesizers and applies it to the modern touch surface paradigm, enabling you to sculpt incredibly fluid and dynamic sounds that live, breathe, and evolve as you play them.
Visually captivating and sonically immersive, Animoog brings iPad based music production to the next level. Whether you are new to synthesis or a professional, Animoog’s unique user interface gives you the power to easily create a visually vibrant and sonically rich universe. It is the ultimate tool for total creative expression!
Animoog’s diverse library of timbres is derived from analog waveforms captured from classic Moog oscillators, both vintage and modern, and run through a boutique’s worth of high-end outboard and analog signal processors. These include modular synth panels, Moogerfooger pedals and more.
Animoog is the newest innovation in creative tools from Moog Music, the legendary electronic musical instrument company founded by Bob Moog in Asheville, NC.
• Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE) - An exciting new Moog technology that allows the user to move dynamically through an X/Y space of unique timbres to create an expressive and constantly evolving soundscape.
• Timbre page – Assemble unique sounds in the X/Y space from timbres of a wide variety of vintage and modern Moog synthesizers and pedals. Note: this is NOT simple sample playback.
• Polyphonic Modulation - Simply slide your fingers to control multiple modulation parameters in Animoog right from the keys.
• Polyphonic Pitch Shifting - Easily manipulate the exact pitch of each note in a chord by rotating or sliding your fingers.
• Delay Module - A classic analog style ping pong delay.
• Thick Module - From bit crushing to unison voice detuning and drive, this module adds depth, edge and character to Animoog’s already massive sound palette.
• Moog Filter - The classic four-pole Moog ladder filter with High Pass, Low Pass and Band Pass modes.
• Record Module - Record your performance and overdub new layers, or play along live. Transfer recordings between Animoog and any other apps which support the general pasteboard.
• Path Module - Direct ASE through Animoog’s X/Y space to create new expressive and shifting sounds that will blow your mind!
• Orbit Module - Control the rate of orbit in the X/Y space around the path you created for subtle to insane voice manipulation.
• Flexible Modulation Matrix - Amp, Filter and Mod Envelopes, LFO with infinitely variable wave shapes and sync, and four super flexible and assignable modulation slots.
• MIDI in - Use your Little Phatty or any other MIDI controller to control Animoog.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
Fixed CATEGORIES folder display when updating from previous version.
New features (as of v1.1.0):
• Preset Categories
• MIDI CC Mapping
• Recording time is doubled
• ACOUSTIC and METALLIC expansion packs added to Animoog Store
• MIDI Expansion Pack
The MIDI Expansion Pack transforms Animoog into a MIDI controller as innovative and richly expressive as the Animoog sound engine itself.
The Animoog touch keyboard becomes a source for polyphonic MIDI notes with velocity and aftertouch, using Animoog's custom note scales which are saved per preset. Poly-pressure translates the dynamic of each finger movement into MIDI data, while Channel pressure ensures compatibility with the widest range of existing synthesizers. Of course the on-screen Pitch and Mod strips send Pitch Wheel and Modulation messages as well.
The keyboard MIDI output also uses a special Polyphonic Legato message, created by Moog in order to accurately record the unique playing styles made possible by Animoog's polyphonic, continuous ribbon-style keyboard. Polyphonic Legato allows you to record and play back Animoog performances while preserving expressive glides from note to note, with full polyphony. Since the performance is recorded as MIDI, you can keep tweaking the sound even after you've nailed the perfect expressive rendition of the notes.
MIDI Mapping is also expanded, with the ability to send any assignable MIDI CC messages from Animoog's on-screen controls, including the X-Y Pad. This allows you to use all of Animoog as a control surface for your plugins or external hardware. In addition, you can record and play back MIDI knob tweaks in the same way as you can a keyboard performance.
Good News and Ugly News re Animoog
Animoog for the iPhone should be one of the best music apps, period. What’s holding it back is Moog’s unwillingness to bring simple functionality like Audiobus support or Interapp audio connectivity. This is not a technical issue, it is a business decision that they refuse to acknowledge. I have spoken several times with Perry Willig, Moog’s Tech Support Manager, and others, starting as far back as February of 2012. Willig and others have assured me numerous times that Moog was committed to Audiobus support for both Animoog and Filtatron for the iPhone. Here we are in October of 2013. I wish Moog and it’s employees would be honest with customers about their products.
In light of the above, I believe it’s now obvious that Moog has abandoned the development of both Animoog and Filtatron for the iPhone and is concentrating on iPad sales.
I wish Moog would be honest enough to say so.
All that said, it’s a shame, because Animoog and Filtatron have such great potential.
Intuitive with wonderful sound
Very gorgeous app - it really makes you wonder about the possibilities of using ones phone or pad to create music. There is something very fluid and human about this little synth, and a lot of it has to do with how one uses it.
The ability to glide over notes and modulate the sound with swipes of your fingers as you're playing makes this truly a unique instrument. Imagine a hardware synth like this.
Down sides being its lack of decent recording options, quantization etc. Basically I want to be able to export a track and use it with another app in my phone, and play and expand on compositions . At the moment it appears you are limited to working within the app.
AUDIOBUS UPDATE: For once there is a good reason to double-dip with iPhone/iPad versions - you can run them both at the same time in Audiobus on your iPad!
Very good, though the issue of IAP raises the question of can these purchased presets be transferred to our iPads, or do we have to buy them twice? For this reason I wish the iPad version was universal...
Other than that - this is a fantastic synth, and I'm excited to see more coming out for it!
PS> Please add SynthStation 25 support for the iPhone version, thanks!
PPS> The iPad version has Audiobus, hope it will come to the iPhone version soon! (and... imagine two instances of Animoog at once under Audiobus on the iPad! :D )
- Category: Music
- Updated: Aug 31, 2012
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 7.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Moog Music Inc.
- © 2011 Moog Music Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Devine Expansion Pack$2.99
- Acoustic Expansion Pack$2.99
- MIDI Expansion Pack$4.99
- Metallic Expansion Pack$2.99
- The Grateful Dead Expansion Pack$4.99
- Monster Moog Expansion Pack$4.99
- Vintage Synth Expansion Pack$3.99
- Minimoog Model D Expansion Pack$6.99
- Vintage FX Expansion Pack$2.99