Number Rack facilitates the natural development of children’s number sense. The movable, colored beads encourage learners to think in groups of fives and tens, helping them to explore and discover a variety of addition and subtraction strategies.
This virtual version of the manipulative is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use iPod Touches, iPhones, or iPads.
• Display 1 to 5 rows of beads, 10 beads per row. On the iPad, display up to 10 rows.
• Hide beads with the resizable shade, which allows teachers or learners to model subtraction or difference problems.
• Reverse the colors of rows 6 to 10 to distinguish (or not) groupings of 25 beads.
• Use the drawing tools to annotate work and show understanding
• Write equations and expressions with the text tool.
For more Number Rack resources, a web version of Number Rack, and other apps, visit:www.mathlearningcenter.org/apps
To learn about Bridges in Mathematics, an elementary curriculum that employs visual models such as the number rack, please visit: www.mathlearningcenter.org/bridges/overview
This app is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 math education since 1976. Visit us at: www.mathlearningcenter.org
The Number Rack app was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education. Visit us at: www.clarity-innovations.com
New features added to the math text tool:
• When fractions are created using the text tool, they are automatically converted to the stacked fraction format.
• More symbols for writing equations and expressions.
Ratings and Reviews
We own a physical abacus but this app is excellent for when we’re on the road or for late at night in the dark when we’re doing some bedtime math. And the added features are great, like being able to write on it. Love it! Thank you so much for offering this for free.
This app is perfect for use with my children! They like to do anything on the iPad, so this math tool helps keep them engaged during math lessons at our homeschool. It is easy to use, and general enough to be used with any curriculum. For those looking for an app that teaches math skills, this is not it. This is designed to be a teaching tool, not a game. I love that it is free, and no ads!
This is the perfect app for my first graders to use. I've been dreading creating tangible frames to use but this is just what I needed without all of the extra work. This will really help my student develop concrete skills.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.