By Zarfhome Software Consulting
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*The Dreamhold* is interactive fiction — a classic text adventure. No graphics! No point-and-click! You type your commands, and read what happens next.
*The Dreamhold* is designed for people who have never played IF before. It introduces the common commands and mindset of text adventures, one step at a time. There’s an extensive help system describing standard IF commands, as well as dynamic hints which pop up whenever you seem to be stuck.
I’ve tried to create a game which rewards many species of adventurer: the inexperienced newcomer, the puzzle-hurdler, the casual tourist, the meticulous explorer, the wild experimenter, the seeker after nuances and implications.
- Fluid interface designed for comfortable typing and reading.
- Full-length puzzle adventure with several optional side quests and hidden endings.
- Text adventure devotees can turn off the tutorials and hints, or play in Expert mode for additional challenge.
- Achievements tracked through Game Center.
- Pop-up palette of commonly used commands.
- Dynamic in-game map, so you don’t have to scribble boxes on a piece of paper.
- Full support for VoiceOver (speech output) and dictation (speech input) on devices that offer these features.
- Yes, really free. Not “free with ads,” not “freemium.” Just free. I want to introduce people to IF, and this game is how I do it.
*The Dreamhold* won the XYZZY Awards for Best Puzzles and Best Use of Medium in 2004. It is also available (for free) on my web site.
(The cover art is based on a photograph by Trey Ratcliff: The Festival of Lights in Lyon (CC by-nc-sa), remixed with images of Mercury and Io.)
What's New in Version 1.0.4
Polished UI for iOS7.
Very well written
This game reminded me of Zork a bit, but I liked this one a little bit better. It wasn't as hard and doing 1 thing wrong didn't completely ruin the whole game. And I like the setting and story significantly better. I like that it's not set somewhere sort of post apocalyptic (I think) and the story is sort of touching.
Good job on this one!
Very nicely done.
Digging through quite a few of these text adventures in iTunes & found most of them to be crap.
This one most certainly isn't.
Very nicely done.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 21, 2013
- Version: 1.0.4
- Size: 4.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andrew Plotkin
- © 2012 Zarfhome Software Consulting, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.