Onion Browser is the original free and open-source Tor-powered web browser for iOS. Onion Browser helps you access the internet with more safety and privacy, and no extra cost to you.
“The best Tor-related offering on iOS right now is Onion Browser” - The Daily Dot, October 14, 2015.
Featured in: The New York Times, The Guardian, Salon, TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Daily Dot, & others.
• Browse the internet over Tor:
- Protect your privacy from website tracking
- Secure your traffic from insecure wireless networks and ISPs
- Support for HTTPS Everywhere, an automatic switch to HTTPS enabled websites
- Access .onion sites that are only accessible over Tor.
• Fight online tracking: block scripts and automatically clear cookies and tabs, based on your preferences.
• And more privacy-enhancing features!
- Web browsing is much slower than through a normal web browser or a VPN because your traffic is encrypted and relayed through the Tor network.
- Multimedia often bypass Tor and compromise your privacy; video files and video streams are blocked by default and are not supported by Onion Browser.
- Onion Browser might not work on networks with advanced network restrictions. If the app does not connect, try using bridges (or a different type of bridge), force-quit, and then restart the app.
- Use of Onion Browser is at your own risk; remember that sensitive data does not always belong on a mobile device.
** Onion Browser is free and open-source software. You can read more about Onion Browser and how to support development of Tor on iOS by visiting onionbrowser.com **
Tor has been updated to 0.3.3.5-rc. OpenSSL has been updated to 1.1.0g.
Onion Browser 2.1 has working translations in Arabic, Bengali, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Japanese, Norwegian (Bokmål), Persian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Tamil, Telugu, and Ukranian! The app will automatically use the system-wide preferred language, if it is available in Onion Browser.
Special thanks to all of our Transifex volunteers & everyone at Localization Lab for helping with this massive effort:
AboShanab, Al_Shahrior, anarchodin, anm, ariaa, arielbarbosa, arminoza, Atalanttore, balapandu222, benewfy, beonex1, biancahey, codesmite, CypherZnnb, drashti4, Ecron, emmapeel, feeblebiscuit, flaviove, Herenko, ifti, jpanonowl, jxtsai, kingu, kscanne, kwadronaut, Lafrenze, lyubomyr, mada19, Maria_Jose, Naofumi, nariman, nautilusx, pau.selles, pljmn, pluto987, s8321414, sabs, Selinaf, Selva_Makilan, SilverXp, Songbogong, sonusandeep, strel, sveinki, TokumeiNanashi, tsaizb, umkdikshit, vargaviktor, yahoe.001
Ratings and Reviews
Can’t find any details.
I downloaded this and then got a charge for the ”Baby Onion.” Now I see no details on what upgrades are available anymore if any. Could you please show me the prior payment set up for the different upgrades? Since they're no longer here. And if in fact there is a better version?
Can’t load .onion pages
I connected to a bridge and cannot load any of the .onion pages, I tried without a bridge, but still could not actually use Tor.
Doesn’t allow option for self-signed certificates
This was once useful but now that I can’t access https with self-signed certificates at all with no option to allow, it’s useless to me.
- Mike Tigas
- 79.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Tamil, Telugu, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2012-2018 Tigas Ventures, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Small Onion Browser Tip $0.99
- Medium Onion Browser Tip $4.99
- Large Onion Browser Tip $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.