Chrome - web browser by Google
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Browse fast on your iPhone and iPad with the Google Chrome browser you love on desktop. Pick up where you left off on your other devices, search by voice, and easily read webpages in any language.
• SYNC ACROSS DEVICES - seamlessly access and open tabs and bookmarks from your laptop, phone or tablet
• FASTER BROWSING - choose from search results that instantly appear as you type and quickly access previously visited pages
• VOICE SEARCH - use the magic of Google voice search to find answers on-the-go without typing
• TRANSLATE - easily read webpages in any language
• UNLIMITED TABS - open as many tabs as your heart desires and quickly flip through them like a deck of cards
• PRIVACY - use Incognito* mode to browse without saving your history (learn more at http://goo.gl/WUx02)
What's New in Version 48.0.2564.87
This release also includes:
• Redesigned icons on the New Tab page: easier access to more of your frequently-visited sites
• Spotlight integration: Drag down or right from the Home screen and search for your Chrome bookmarks
Intuitive, but some glitches
Google chrome is superior to any other browser, and its mobile app is no exception. However, I've noticed that the most recent update is glitching. On several occasions, as I click the button to switch tabs, it ends up closing my current tab. I'm glad that I can recover closed tabs so easily with chrome, but what's up with that? Also, when I recover said tab, if I don't recover it in a completely new tab, it erases the current history of the tab that was open. It's really quite cumbersome. I wish I could recover an old tab without erasing the one I'm in. Furthermore, while the swiping far left/right to navigate back/forward between pages feature is handy, it is still a mobile app and you usually need to zoom and navigate around a page; so it would be nice to have the option to disable/enable that feature when needed. Otherwise, chrome is seamlessly compatible across all your devices (even on a completely new device, you can recover everything if you log into chrome), it is intuitive (knows when you've pasted a link), and it is still by far the best browser out there.
It's great if it loads pages properly.
In a conservative 50% of my browsing with Chrome pages load half way down. It doesn't matter if it's a fresh visit or a page I've been visiting often. Chrome will load many pages scrolled half way down.
For many pages it's an annoyance since they're small and it's just a small flick to get to the top of the web page. For larger pages it can be a very real chore to scroll to the top of the web page. It's a problem known to the Chrome folks and it's been known for a long time. Adding pages that don't load properly on top of the inability to load pages directly into Chrome via links in other apps makes Chrome a very real pain to use.
If you can do without synchronized bookmarks and history Chrome isn't worth choosing over Safari. It just adds a skin over the same bits that Safari uses to draw websites. You might as well cutout the middleman that is Chrome.
Bring back tab swiping
Google has a tendency to change things for no reason, despite what users actually want. Sometimes this is fine and sometimes it's for the worse. In the case of removing swiping to switch tabs, it's for the much worse. The nice thing about tab swiping is you don't need to reach all the way up to the top of the screen to switch tabs. This is especially important on bigger phones like the 6 and 6 Plus. It's not a good solution to swipe at the navigation bar, because that's still too far for the my thumb to reach without adjusting my grip.
Who needs to go back and forward so frequently that they really need a dedicated gesture for it? I would be shocked if this were really such a highly requested feature. Sometimes the Google product team is so dense and ignorant of its user's preferences.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jan 27, 2016
- Version: 48.0.2564.87
- Size: 69.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.