Amazon Instant Video
By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Instantly stream thousands of movies and TV episodes at no additional cost with an Amazon Prime membership. You can also watch any video rented or purchased from the more than 200,000 titles available from Amazon Instant Video.
Prime members can watch exclusive Amazon Originals like Transparent - winner of two Golden Globes for "Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy" and "Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy" - the new hit show, Mozart in the Jungle, plus children’s series Creative Galaxy and Tumble Leaf. The service features dozens of groundbreaking series from HBO like The Sopranos and The Wire, plus early seasons of True Blood and Boardwalk Empire.
With Amazon Instant Video, you can:
• Stream thousands of Prime Instant Video titles at no additional cost with a Prime membership, or watch videos you’ve bought or rented from the Amazon Instant Video website.
• Download purchased and rented videos from Your Video Library for offline viewing on airplanes, road trips, or when a Wi-Fi connection is unavailable.
• Watch on your Apple TV using AirPlay (requires iOS 6 or later and Apple TV 2nd generation or later).
• Watch on your TV using HDMI and your Apple Digital AV Adapter (requires iOS 6 or later).
• Stream the first episode of selected TV shows for free. First Episode Free videos include advertising breaks before and during video playback (requires iOS 6 or later).
• Add videos to Your Watchlist from any Amazon Instant Video compatible device for later viewing on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
The Amazon Instant Video app requires a Wi-Fi connection to stream videos. Streaming over a cellular connection isn’t supported, but you can watch your downloaded videos without a Wi-Fi connection. The Amazon Instant Video app is designed for an unmodified version of iOS.
What's New in Version 2.9.9
• Improvements in app reliability
• Improved offline experience with scene previews during fast forward and rewind
Reliable, but not Efficient
I used this app to watch the first 3 seasons of Once Upon A Time. At first, I streamed the show, and the image was bad and it took way too long to buffer, so I started to download the episodes before I watched it. When I did that, everything improved. It takes generally around 2 to 3 hours to download, so I recommend doing it over night. I also recommend downloading 4 episodes at a time, and have another 4 on queue. After I downloaded the episodes, I could watch them anywhere. Make sure that when you finish the episodes, don't keep too long or too many because it overloads your storage. I would keep 10 downloaded maximum. This app was very helpful to me because I do not have Netflix, so I couldn't catch up on any of my shows. I can now also go back and watch the episodes any time I want.
Won't stream on cellular, only on Wifi
This is a very good app. My only complaint is that it doesn't stream over cellular. It only streams over Wifi. I am lucky enough to still have an unlimited data plan on my cellphone so it should be up to me to decide if I want to watch a film on my phone when I am away from a wifi connection. Even if I didn't have unlimited data it should still be up to me to decide if I want to use my data to watch a movie or not. I appreciate that there should be a warning, but if I have my phone set to allow the app to use cellular it should actually stream the video I want to watch.
A mobile app that doesn't allow data use?
I'm in agreement with everyone else who gave this otherwise great app one star...what's the point without allowing streaming via data on a mobile app? Take a hint from Netflix...
Wait. I just read the review by mykeel42 and he is correct about being able to stream from your web browser once the app is installed. I just tried it and it works. At least there is a work around, so I rate it 3 stars instead on one
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Mar 24, 2015
- Version: 2.9.9
- Size: 34.6 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese
- Seller: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © Copyright 2015 Amazon.com and its affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.