Explore Kentucky History is a free app that puts Kentucky’s History at your fingertips. Explore Kentucky’s many unique historic places and take self-guided tours of the state’s rich history.
The Kentucky Historical Society explores the state’s history through its historical sites, markers, and landscapes. Find interesting people, places and events in Kentucky’s history, and take curated historical tours through regions and communities across the state. With a growing list of interpretive stories, beginning with the state’s historical markers, each point on the interactive GPS-enabled map includes historical information about the location, along with historic images from Kentucky’s archival collections and historical publications. Many sites also include short documentary videos or audio clips based on expert research or oral history interviews. You can find more information about Kentucky Historical Society on the web at history.ky.gov or visit the project website at explorekyhistory.ky.gov.
Welcome to Explore Kentucky History 3.0!
- New and improved user interface
- Native 3D-enabled maps (try a two finger swipe to tilt the map)
- Offline functionality (text-only)
- New Discover page highlights featured and nearby content
- Stories page now shows recent additions by default, with filters for nearby and featured
- Search for stories, tours, and files
- Plus lots of technical improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Great way to find local history!
I found this app to be extremely useful in finding local history surrounding a theme or topic. The content uses the state's historical marker program as the framework but contextualizes the place with rich scholarship and historical collections. KHS is always adding new content and tours.
This app is a must have if your touring the Commonwealth!
Historical Markers in the palm of your hand
An easy way to find Historical Markers by theme. Easily accessible. It's also nice to have images connected to the Marker text.
I like the app but it seems like its missing a lot of historical markers. Perhaps more will be added?
- Cleveland State University Research Corporation
- 39.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012 Kentucky Historical Society
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.