By Top Class Apps, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Spelling Star is the perfect app for practicing your spelling lists. Create lists by entering words and recording the audio. Practice spelling each word correctly three times to become a Spelling Star!
● One of the top-rated spelling apps available.
● New share list feature is perfect for teachers that want to create lists and share with their students.
● Share Lists - create lists on one device and share them with anyone else that has the Spelling Star app.
● Copy Lists - click a button to make a copy of any list on your device. Perfect for parents with multiple kids or teachers that want to individualize lists based on student needs - add challenge words or modify lists for accommodations.
● Immediate Feedback - students get immediate feedback after each word as they practice.
● Progress Indicator - parents/teachers can monitor the progress of their students as they work towards mastering their list.
● Easy, Effective & Engaging - we've built this app to be easy and effective for students. There aren't a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that distract students from the goal of practicing their spelling words, but the stars they receive keep them engaged.
WHY IT WORKS:
● Your Actual Spelling Words
You add the word lists that spellers are studying at school or home. Record each word or use a sentence to make the word meaning clear. Words are presented in a random order so spellers are ready to spell them in any order on a test or in a spelling bee. Some users have shared that having their children add and record their word lists has been another good way to practice each week. Practice anytime, anywhere!
● Mastery Practice
Spellers practice their words until they are mastered. Spellers earn a star each time they correctly spell a word without a hint. Three stars equal a mastered word. When a speller has mastered a word, Spelling Star will remove that word from the practice cycle. This allows spellers to focus on words that need extra practice. Individual words or full lists can easily be reset if additional practice is desired.
● Immediate Formative Feedback
Spelling Star immediately lets a speller know how they did on each word. It also provides them the option to redo the word right away if an error is made. Spellers can move on if desired, but the ability to fix an error on the spot reinforces the correct spelling. No more waiting until the end of the whole list to find out how they are doing on each word.
● Summative Feedback
At the end of each practice cycle, Spelling Star provides feedback for the entire list and provides the option to immediately practice it again. Spelling Star also provides a quick view of progress towards list mastery within the list selection screen. Spelling Star makes it easy to see how close spellers are to mastery.
● Audio and Hints
Spelling Star replays the recorded audio as many times as desired with no penalty towards mastery. If a speller is stuck, they simply tap the hint button to get a quick look at the word so they can finish it. While a hint won’t count towards mastery, it gets the speller un-stuck and prevents frustration. Spellers can then practice the word again or move on.
What's New in Version 1.1.2
* Improved performance
* Added ability to listen to words from Manage Lists section
* Various bug fixes
I use it in my classroom for my reading/writing intervention classes. I like how you use your own voice to record and set up the lists and not a mechanical voice. It does make things more time-consuming at set-up but it allows time to add a sample sentence to help understand the word in context.
Clean interface, no distractions.
Easily add your own word list, with your own voice and even a sentence. Or have the student set it up. I've made a list of multiplication and division facts; "2 times 4 is..." Then he spells the answer 8. State capitols will be this year. Excellent!
The game defaults to having you type in all capital letters, which is OK, but what is not OK is that all of the words will then be marked incorrect even if they are spelled perfectly. Checking the FAQ shows that this is a known issue. The "fix" is to turn off auto caps for the system keyboard settings, which affects other apps. The developer should work on fixing the app.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Aug 18, 2013
- Version: 1.1.2
- Size: 13.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Top Class Apps, LLC
- © 2012 Top Class Apps, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.