Kindergarten Playground 3 - A Read and Write ABC Edition Learning App for Kids
By Jan Essig
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"Playground 3 - ABC Edition" has been awarded the Editor's Choice Award of Children's Technology Review
ipadeducators.com: 5/5 STARS
Simply put, this is the best app we have yet seen for early letter learning. The attention to detail and range of options is outstanding and we highly recommend it for Early Years teachers.
When my daughter was learning her letters, I thought long and hard about the best way to teach her the alphabet. The result is this collection of six exercises:
• Flashcards – introduces individual capital letters and their sounds, along with animals for kids to associate with each sound. Users can trace the letters, and can hear each letter name by touching it.
• Practice – lets user practice with uppercase letters while also introducing lowercase letters. Users can practice tracing letters in five different fonts.
• Write – a drawing board for users to practice their letters freehand in six colors. Users can also drag letters around on the electronic equivalent of a magnetic board. The resulting artwork or message can be photographed and saved to your iPad’s camera roll.
• Word Scramble – users unscramble the letters to spell the names of more than 65 animals.
• Matching – match capital letters to their lowercase partners, and match letters with their corresponding animals. Teaches correct alphabet sequence as well as connection between capital and lowercase letters.
• Pairs – memory matching card game where users match up uppercase/uppercase pairs, uppercase/lowercase pairs, or letter/animal pairs.
KNOW what's inside: As a MOMs with Apps member, I follow the "Know what's inside" best practices for kids' apps.
• This is a multilingual App and supports English, German, Italian, Spanish, French and Swedish.
• Languages can be changed in each activity so it is also great for learning a new language (multilingual Families like this very much!)
• There are 6 "Main"-Activities in this App. In which activity number 4 includes 3 Mini-Activities.
• I developed this App together for my little daughter when she asked me to teach her the alphabet.
• I illustrated 70 different Animals for this App in order to have one fitting Illustration for each letter in each alphabet of the supported languages.
• The App allows the user to work with both initial sounds and letter names.
• There are 5 Different Fonts each with upper and lower case inside the App. The user can easily switch from print to handwriting font, and from upper to lower case.
• Includes a reward system game kids will love
• Settings and external links are protected in a “parents only” area to prevent children from accidentally ending up on Facebook, in email, or in other internet locations you don’t want them to go.
• Includes a timer that allows parents to limit playing time.
• The sound can be switched on and off at any time.
• ... and all without adverts or in-app purchases!!!
• Free lite version available.
• KNOW what's inside: As a MOMs with Apps member, I follow the "Know what's inside" best practices for kids' apps.
• Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjws3ZAEXts
"Playground 3 - ABC Edition" …
… has scored top marks in the Educational App Store Certification
… has been awarded the "GOLD"-Award of BesteKinderApps
… has scored top marks at Pappasappar 5/5 STARS
… is highly recommended by the EÖD Legasthenie
I hope that this ABC app interests you and provides your child with a great start in the world of letters.
PLEASE contact me for any help, concerns or suggestions to improve this App.
Don´t hesitate to contact me via mail: email@example.com :)
A short review would be wonderful
Best regards and have fun playing
What's New in Version 3.3.0
• Added "Pink" to Activities no. 1 & 2 :-) Hope your girls are Happy now.
• Some optimizations
Beware. This has some good features but the voice saying the letter sounds does not use American phonetic sounds. For example the W is pronounced "v". Very confusing to early learners. I will keep shopping. :(
- Category: Education
- Updated: Dec 07, 2013
- Version: 3.3.0
- Size: 56.7 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Jan Essig
- © 2013 Jan Essig
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.