Sky Guide: View Stars Night or Day
By Fifth Star Labs LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** 2014 Apple Design Award Winner ***
A star app has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!
"Close to perfect."
"The perfect companion for helping you find the stars..."
“Beautiful and informative...a treasure.”
Is it a star or Saturn? Learning what’s in your night sky is now effortless with Sky Guide. Hold your iPhone or iPad up and Sky Guide automatically aligns itself to the stars above you—no setup required!
Whether you’re looking for the constellation Virgo, the Andromeda Galaxy or Mars, Sky Guide will satisfy your curiosity. You can search for thousands of celestial sights and be guided exactly where to see them in the sky above you. Just follow the arrow.
Voyage to the past or future with cinematic time controls. Know where the Moon will be later in the evening so you can capture that perfect photo. Or, witness the approach of magnificent comets and see their tails evolve as they fly around the Sun.
Want to watch a satellite pass overhead? Sky Guide features hundreds of visible satellites for you to identify and track. You can also schedule reminders or get notifications of when the International Space Station is due to fly over — even on your Apple Watch!
Sky Guide contains immersive visuals unlike any star app you have seen before. With exclusive imagery adapted from high-resolution photographs, you’ll see millions of stars and feel as though you're spacewalking! Or, if you're feeling more earthbound, gesture down the intensity of star light to match an urban view.
Sky Guide may have few buttons but it has ample content. With richly illustrated and cross-linked articles—many by leading astronomical authors—countless enlightened moments await novice and seasoned stargazers alike.
Plus, Sky Guide functions with or without a Wi-Fi, data, or GPS signal. Take it camping or use it overseas. Everything is at your fingertips at all times, in all places.
• Apple Watch support: See a calendar of upcoming astronomical events — the full moon, meteor showers, eclipses, and more. Sky Guide can send you a notification when an event is about to happen in the skies above your location. And it will even alert you when the International Space Station is due to fly over.
• 3D Touch: See quick previews of any article while browsing the search menu with Peek and Pop. Get quick access to your Favorites, Search, or Satellites from the home screen by pressing on the Sky Guide icon. (3D Touch requires iPhone 6s)
• Notification Center Widget: At-a-glance essentials including rise and set times for the Sun, Moon and planets (requires iOS 8).
• Time-lapse Effects: See star trails when you move through time quickly (supported on devices with A7 processor and higher).
• Filter: X-ray the sky and explore invisible wonders.
• Red night mode: Preserve your dark-adapted eyesight.
Please note: Sky Guide requires a gyroscope, so it doesn't work with iPad 1 or iPhone 3GS and earlier.
What's New in Version 5.1
• Sky Guide is now optimized for the new iPad Pro.
• Added a new live Sun Glance for Apple Watch. During daytime hours the Sky Guide Glance will show a live image of solar activity (animated to the most recent 3 days). Tap for a detailed chart of activity which also indicates possible aurorae.
• Fixed bug where Moon Glance was not loading on Apple Watch
• Fixed bug where recently failed Iridium satellites were still being treated as active
• Fixed bug where the position of Jupiter's moons did not account for light travel delay
• Added dwarf planets Eris, Haumea, and Makemake
What Are You Waiting For?
This app is absolutely astounding. I love everything about it. I'm also interested in the constellations, so that's the main reason I got this app. I've had it for a while now.
The only problem is that sometimes I use the compass and it goes to my location, then I slide my finger across the screen, click the compass again and it doesn't go to the same exact spot it was at before. Other than that, this app is totally worth it.
I love that I can read about the constellations and their myths. I usually like to just stand out at night and look up at the stars. Then I use this app to figure out which constellations I can't remember. The other apps similar to this don't replicate how astonishing this app is. Get it now.
My favorite app by far
I really love this app. If you like to star gaze this is for you. Me personally I love to star gaze and I'm also an amateur astrophotographer, this app helped me capture the Milky Way by pointing me in the right direction even when I had no service or wifi connection at all for my phone. It also provides information on planets and constellations, and gives you a link if you want to learn more (this also includes satellites, rockets, and other "space junk" in the night sky. Even includes when the rocket first launched and its mission as well I believe). If your interested in seeing my work go on Flickr and search for Brenden Fleming, or MrDiscoDucks (I think either one works). So you guys should really get this app, well worth it.
Saved me in my astronomy class!
I'm a senior in college and am currently finishing up some General education courses that I had to take and astronomy was one of them. This app was so useful and saved me for our lab assignments! I had about 5 sets of assignments where I had to track certain constellations, stars, the moon and planets over a 4-6 week span during the 16 week online course. For each set I had to record the time, date, altitude, azimuth and any other special notes. While most of my observations were made with the naked-eye, this helped to make sure I was tracking things the right way and double checking my work. I've had this app for over two years and it is definitely worth the $2.99!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 17, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 104 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Fifth Star Labs LLC
- © 2013 Fifth Star Labs LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.