Lost Treasures of Infocom
By Activision Publishing, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
***"Lost Treasures of Infocom is a wonderfully nostalgic, superbly presented, and impressively comprehensive package.
A real labour of love, then, and a beautiful reminder that a picture isn't always preferable to a thousand words." - Pocket Gamer***
***"The part that's blowing my mind is just how well these games have made the translation to iOS" - Touch Arcade***
Enter the world of master storytellers. Before there were state-of-the-art consoles, tablets and PCs capable of amazing graphics, gamers had to use their imagination and wit, to solve intricate puzzles and progress through these text-only adventure gaming classics.
The Lost Treasures of Infocom brings these classic works of interactive fiction to life for the first time on iPad, Phone & iPod Touch. This definitive collection of 27 adventure games spanning fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, horror & more, places you in the center of immersive, richly-detailed interactive worlds full of interesting locations, engaging puzzles & surprising twists & turns. You’re more than just a passive reader as you engage directly with the story by typing actions through your keyboard. Use your imagination to come up with creative solutions to puzzles with multiple solutions as you progress through each adventure and bring these stories to life!
• Download today & get the all-time adventure classic that started it all, Zork I: The Great Underground Empire, for FREE! Plunge beneath the surface of the earth in search of the long lost Treasures of Zork. Starting from a field west of the iconic White House, Zork beckons you into a world fraught with danger & discovery.
• Collect & play the original Infocom text adventure library with 27 games in all, including The Zork™ Series, Planetfall®, The Enchanter Trilogy, Leather Goddesses of Phobos® & many more!
• Interact with all of the original classic Infocom collectables, from the packaging & game manuals to the in-box "feelies", all faithfully reproduced for fans of the series
• Access special interactive versions the original InvisiClues hint books, & full game maps for each title, accessible from within the games themselves
• Learn about the rise & fall of Infocom, with an exclusive history article written exclusively for the app
• Showcase your adventure game accomplishments to your friends with full GameCenter leaderboard support
• Also includes the exclusive, never-before-published text adventure “Zork: The Undiscovered Underground”, written by original Infocom designers
• Re-live these brilliant & imaginative adventure titles with over 350 hours of gameplay
Complete your collection and keep these classic games alive for generations to come. Players can purchase five bundle packs with 5 games each for $2.99 per pack; OR own the entire game collection PLUS all game maps AND the exclusive, never-published bonus adventure “Zork: The Undiscovered Underground”, for just $9.99.
• A Mind Forever Voyaging
• Border Zone
• Hollywood Hijinx
• Leather Goddesses of Phobos
• The Lurking Horror
• Plundered Hearts
• Suspended: A Cryogenic Nightmare
• The Witness
• Zork 1: The Great Underground Empire (FREE with free initial download)
• Zork 2 : The Wizard of Frobozz
• Zork 3 : The Dungeon Master
• Zork: The Undiscovered Underground (bonus game for purchasing the Complete Collection)
©2012 Activision Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. All trademarks and trade names are the properties of their respective owners.
What's New in Version 1.0.2
• Fixed a potential crash when restoring purchases, if an earlier transaction was improperly interrupted.
• "Manual" button added to the in-game button bar, allowing you to go from in-game directly to the manual and back again.
• The app now remembers your frequently viewed Manuals, Maps and Feelies where you last scrolled and zoomed, until you view a different item.
• Reset game timer when a new game started, so that you can improve on your best time.
• Other minor enhancements
Great, But A Couple Gripes
I agree with all the good things people have said about this app--and am genuinely stoked to be able to play all these games in one place, but I'd like to add a couple things that I wish I'd known before slapping down my $9.99 :
1. Once you swipe an invisiclues answer and make it visible, there's no way to re-hide it. Not a big deal I guess, if you are the only one using the app. But if someone else wants to play the game, the whole reveal-hints-bit-by-bit idea goes out the window. The only workaround I've found is deleting the app and reinstalling it. What a pain.
2. The in-game maps are awesome, except for the one game that I bought the app to play in the first place: Suspended. As you may recall, Suspended actually came with its own map (instead of requiring you to make it as you played like in all the other games) and little markers for each of the six robots you control so that you can keep track of where each robot is. It was almost impossible to play the game without this aid. Guess what? The app has the map, but no markers or any other way to keep track of the robots. So it's almost totally useless in that regard.
Maybe docking two stars might be excessive, but the first seems like it would be an easy fix, and the second makes the game unplayable without a printed out map which defeats the whole point of having it on a portable tablet. If these two points get resolved my rating would be 5 out of 5.
Please Please Please sell this in the Mac App Store!
Please sell this in the Mac app store. I'm a (very longtime) Mac developer and I would help you port what you have over to the Mac for free. This would be so much better because: keyboard support, the ability to play the game in one window and have the map open at the same time in another. I purchased this product in 1993 for the Mac in the form of "Lost Treasures of Inform I & II" and then I bought the whole thing again in the late 90s bought on a CD with the games on it. I also used to drool over these games in the 1980s at "Software Etc.". I was a kid and couldn't afford them. I did play a bootleg copy of Zork I for the Apple ][ around 1983 and a pirated copy of Leather Goddesses of Phobos a bit later. Both of the packages I bought in the 90s were for the Mac, but obviously it was pre-OS X so you'd have to run them in an emulator today, or there is a way to extra the playable game and run it on a Z-machine. But that's really more work than I'd be up for when wanting the play. Plus, I love having the companion docs for the games. So a modern MacOS X version of Lost Treasures of Infocom would be amazing.
I think I bought Lost Treasures even more times than I have purchased the album "Los Angeles" by X (cassette, vinyl, CD, remastered CD, and finally iTunes), I'd be happy to buy this one again on Mac.
I remembered playing these text based games with family. Having a computer back in the early 80s was a big deal, and my cousins and other family would get together to try to play these text based games. Hours sitting around drawing maps and trying to figure out puzzles. I think negative reviews are probably from younger gamers who may not understand the game, and who are probably use to instant gratification. These games are not easy, very challenging. Here are a few tips for those with problems: Read the manual! Draw a map of where you are going, and what and where you drop items. (Luckily maps are included in this electronic version, so convenient. You might need dropped items later) Try everything and anything, you would be surprised by what zork can recognize. Carry the sword in Zork and if it glows blue, save the game! Your about to see a monster! Save often so you can reload if you do something wrong. And finally if you can't figure something out, try looking at the invisiclues to see if it can help.
With the game, maps, manuals, and invisiclues added, this is a great buy. I think it's a great way for current serious gamers to see how these classics were done.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jan 24, 2013
- Version: 1.0.2
- Size: 201 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Activision Publishing, Inc.
- © 2012 Activision Publishing, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Full Game Library$9.99
- All InvisiClues$0.99
- Fantasy Collection I$2.99
- All Maps$0.99
- Sci-Fi Collection$2.99
- Mystery Collection$2.99
- Fantasy Collection II$2.99
- Adventure Collection$2.99