Northmark: Hour of the Wolf
By Rake in Grass
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Northmark: Hour of the Wolf is a card-based RPG. Choose to become a mighty warrior, a cunning mage or a powerful druid as you fight for glory and survival in arena style combat. Explore the corners of the kingdom from fiery deserts to deep forests, cold mountain peaks, and take part in the journey to the kingdoms of the Elves and Dwarves.
Northmark bears some similarities to other games of the "battle-card" genre, yet it successfully manages to differentiate itself by being a full-scale RPG with a focus on a strong story. Its unique battle-card system further emphasizes the original grand vision of a thriving Northmark region. As a player, you shall adventure across the fantasy lands of Northmark with its varied locations - Vibrant cities, Deep dark woods, Deserted lost ruins and the Ancient mystic sites sacred to the Druids and Elves.
But beware! Danger waits at every turn as you investigate the chilling mystery that threatens your homeland. Can you defeat assassins, thieves and hideous monsters? And who is the enigmatic stranger known only as The Wolf? Find out in Northmark!
- Adventure across the lands of Northmark.
- Enjoy an original battle system featuring over 180 beautiful cards.
- Fight for honour, glory... and gold.
- Save your homeland from the plot that threatens to overwhelm it.
- Battle in the arena, or fight for your life against powerful assassins, hideous monsters and mighty warriors.
- Journey from the cold mountain peaks to the desert wastes and deep forests.
- Explore great cities, lost ruins and the ancient mystic sites sacred to the druids and elves.
- Grow more powerful as you find the best battle tactics.
- Become the greatest hero Northmark has ever known - you know it's your destin
I really enjoyed this game quite a bit.
- Love the rpg / story / card battle integration. Very nicely executed.
- Enjoyable visuals.
- Addictive rpg elements makes it hard to put down.
- Needs a better tutorial. I wasn't completely sure what was going on during combat, nor did I realize I needed to click on the tiny icons in the town views. But once figured out, it's a very easy-to-use interface.
- The writing was littered with basic grammar and sentence structure issues.
- It took me 6 hours to beat the game, and I'm a total completionist. A game this short should NOT be priced at $8. This is easily my biggest complaint and the only real reason I didn't rate it 5 stars.
Really love this game.
Music is great, dialogue is humorous and tells a good story, love the mechanics of play. I agree with other reviewers that the battle-play could have used a better tutorial, but once I figured it out it was great. The game's only drawback is that I found it too easy. Once I figured out how it worked and got gold to buy a few upgraded cards, I had no trouble beating most enemies.
I would LOVE some expansions and/or a sequel. Have definitely played this one over and over again.
The game is very short for $7.99. $2.99 is a better price. Fortunately, I discovered that the game unlocks (for free) when you click on the option in the game to have it verify that you've purchased the game. If you do that, the game is completely unlocked. The game will unlock itself for the current session.
So as for the game itself - not good. Lots of typos, lots of colloquial modern speech in a fantasy setting. There's about 30-40 plot encounters, and a few arenas to play. It's entertaining, but again, way too short for something priced at $8.