By Virtual Speech Center Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
****The board game is engaging. I also love the real pictures as visual prompts. So many of my students have difficulty with WH questions, so I know I will the use the app a lot. I can use it to simultaneously target sentence formation, syntax and articulation using the expressive format. (Speech Room News)****
Wh-Questions Island was developed by a certified speech and language pathologist for children to practice auditory comprehension and verbal expression by answering wh-questions.
Children will have fun playing the colorful animated board game and earning rewards while practicing wh-questions with real -life photos.
Wh-Questions Island includes two activity types: flashcard and the board game
Wh-Questions Island includes both receptive and expressive language tasks.
In receptive task, children listen to wh-questions and select the correct answer when given three choices. In the expressive task, children verbally answer wh-questions.
Wh-Questions Island offers 480 wh-questions:
- What questions (e.g. “What do you buy in the toy store? “) - 80 questions organized into four sets
- Where questions (e.g. “Where does a fireman work?”) - 80 questions organized into four sets
- Who questions (e.g. “Who is your best friend?”) - 80 questions organized into four sets
- When questions (e.g. “When do you go to the doctor?”) - 80 questions organized into four sets
- Why questions (e.g. “Why do you wear a helmet?”) - 80 questions organized into four sets
- How questions (e.g. “How do you help your parents?”) - 80 questions organized into four sets
Wh-Questions Island is easy to navigate and allows users to employ several tools to perform the following tasks:
-enter multiple students
-save selected goals for next sessions
-select auto-scoring for receptive task
-select alternate counts for multiple students
-enable or disable written picture descriptions
-use audio recording feature
-track correct and incorrect responses
-view reports in table and graphical forms
-e-mail results at the end of the game
What's New in Version 1.5
- Improved Reports
- Shorter Spinner
- Improved pictures quality
Needs some work
I think this has potential to be a great app, but needs some work. The pirate avatars look too much alike, but that is a minor issue. I wish you had the option to turn off the multiple choice answers. The most important change I would like to see is the ability to mix up the question formats vs. answering one question type before moving on to the next question type.
Love the ability to work on the different WH questions at each student's level. Love having the receptive and expressive component!
Great app! I am able to work with various ability groups at their level!
- Category: Education
- Updated: May 23, 2014
- Version: 1.5
- Size: 129 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Virtual Speech Center Inc.
- © Virtual Speech Center Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.