By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Google Maps app for iPhone and iPad makes navigating your world faster and easier. Find the best spots in town and the information you need to get there.
• Comprehensive, accurate maps in 220 countries and territories
• Voice-guided GPS navigation for driving, biking, and walking
• Transit directions and maps for over 15,000 cities and towns
• Live traffic conditions, incident reports, and automatic rerouting to find the best route
• Detailed information on more than 100 million places
• Street View and indoor imagery for restaurants, museums, and more
* Some features not available in all countries
* Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 4.6.0
• Share your best photos at places using the improved photo uploader
• Improvements to make "directions to home" and "directions to work" searches more reliable
• Bug fixes
Hugely under appreciated. Heartfelt, thank you Google!
Most of what has made me a profitable employable and productive member of society has been due to Google searching and indexing so that I may find articles on how things work what people are doing with electronics and what I can do with them I've always been things that I've loved the access to. I think your business model is one of the best, if not my favorite out there and that one of your truly most useful products are still free! thank you for an education really, or rather the boundless resources you have made me aware of and able to benefit from. In the beginning Google you were my best friend in the early 2000s. And because of all the cool stuff I've learned Internet and real life friends have come into my life either by needing my assistance or appreciating my understanding of the things I wanted to and was able to learn. Good luck, I'm not as nasty as your coders across any board but you certainly are an inspiration.
Poor pronunciation confuses driver
I've been using this app for over a year. I use lots of Google products and they work most of the time.
This app has several problems, first and foremost a strange way of pronouncing things.
"Route 9N" becomes "root ninen" not "root nine-en."
"Route 146A" becomes "root one-forty-sixay" not "root one-forty-six-ay."
In each of these, the ending letter (N or A) becomes an unaccented syllable. If a child pronounced the route numbers like that, we'd kindly and clearly suggest a correction.
We laugh at how "off" this sounds. Google? We thought you were smart!
Other problems: Difficulty navigating the screen. Can't plan a route to multiple destinations. Gives strange directions for going through traffic circles. Give directions for going straight through a traffic circle when your route already goes through it. Does not advise about changing lanes to prepare for a turn. Gives turn directions with street names for which there is no sign (a left turn onto NY 202, very plainly marked, was described as "Turn left onto Main Street" when there was no street sign visible. Calls Curry Road in Round Lake some strange name "New York Reference route <nnn>." Cannot read the street names/route numbers along the chosen path. Zooming in makes no difference. (Hint: put them alongside the road, not within the road.)
A very distracting app. Not recommended.
Issues with route
It has been the best for a long time but lately it does some weird things. I was driving from Santa Clarita towards LA on 5 freeway, it told me to exit. I thought there is a traffic ahead but it basically took me onto another freeway for 6 miles in heavy traffic and then told me to exit and drive back onto 5. Another weird story: driving in the city, told me to turn onto another street that goes parallel but is packed and then after I stood in that traffic for 20 minutes directs me back to my original street which was free in the first place. Sounds funny but now I'm afraid to rely on Google maps. And the worst part is there are no alternatives. Waze is slow, Apple maps have a horrible search for anything other than a concrete address
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: May 12, 2015
- Version: 4.6.0
- Size: 28.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.