By Black Pixel
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Spot the differences. Merge in seconds.
With text merge, three-way merge, folder comparison, and now the ability to ignore whitespace-only differences, Kaleidoscope integrates perfectly with the version-control systems you already use.
Who says powerful developer tools can’t be beautiful too?
Praise for Kaleidoscope
"Kaleidoscope epitomizes the concept of “versatile software”: anyone can pick it up and use it, and the app will “scale” according to a user’s needs." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"Kaleidoscope 2 is breeze. I wish I'd had something like Kaleidoscope when I wrote my first novel, and I'll be counting on it when I finally get around to writing the next one." - Rene Ritchie, iMore.com
"It’s beautifully designed, fast and wonderful to use. It’s become an essential part of my toolkit already." - Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web
It's Part of Your Workflow
- Subversion, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar, and Perforce support
- Integrates as a fully-functional diff or merge tool
- Supported by a growing list of GUI source control management apps
Two-Way Text Comparison & Merging
- Three powerful display modes
- Super-fast diffing of lines and character-level changes
- Color coding to spot added, deleted, and changed text
- Review code changes and resolve conflicts
- Intelligently auto-merges the right content
File & Folder Comparison
- Ultra-fast algorithm for finding differences in large folders
- Sort and filter down to what matters most
- Drill deeper into folders for more detailed comparisons
- Copy your preferred files across sources
Powerful Image Comparison
- Compare images side by side, stacked, or split
- Spot subtle pixel differences with a high contrast “difference mask”
Optimized for OS X Lion & Mountain Lion
- Beautiful, modern UI to feel at home on your Mac
- Full-Screen mode for focusing on your content
- Looks gorgeous on retina displays and works wonderfully with high-resolution graphics
"The new Kaleidoscope is great, and has awesome and committed people behind it. Devs and designers need this tool." - @SteveStreza
"I just bought Kaleidoscope app! It has already saved my time greatly once (by comparing SQL from clipboard). Thank you!" - @befive_info
"Kaleidoscope 2 is the best merging tool for the Mac, hands down. I finally don't miss BeyondCompare." - @stefankendall
What's New in Version 2.1
New Feature: Added support for ignoring whitespace (leading, trailing and line ending) in text comparisons.
New Feature: Added an indicator to display remaining unresolved conflicts in a merge document.
- Added dropdown menus on either side of Choose Left/Choose Right buttons to make “Choose Both” options more discoverable.
- Added better tooltips for the “Copy to” buttons when in Unified view.
- Fixed various issues with Dark Theme which made text difficult to read.
- Fixed issue where selecting different text scope views on one window could affect copy right/left buttons on other windows.
- Fixed issue where holding option to modify the behavior of copy right/left buttons on one window could affect other windows.
- Fixed issue that could prevent Kaleidoscope from picking up changes made to a document open in more than one window.
- Fixed issue that could prevent Kaleidoscope from picking up changes made to documents externally, especially on the MAS build.
- Fixed issue where sometimes Folder Scope copies would not show up correctly after the copy had taken place.
- Fixed issue where Folder Scope would not pick up external additions of empty files or directories.
- Fixed issue that caused git integration to fail on 10.9 Mavericks.
- Fixed issue where ksdiff was sometimes not able to connect to Kaleidoscope after reboots with window restoration enabled.
- Fixed issue that where Kaleidoscope would not allow quitting when choosing “Review Conflicts” on a modified document.
- Updated Automator actions to categorize correctly in Automator.
- Added support for copy/paste shortcuts in the crash reporter window.
- Kaleidoscope now avoids saving files without changes.
- Kaleidoscope will now disallow edits to files that can be read but not written to (e.g. docx files).
- Kaleidoscope now better remembers size and position of your windows.
- Fixed issue that stopped the comparison windows from minimizing when double clicking their title bar.
- Fixed issue where the path bar area could fail to update correctly when switching tabs.
- Fixed issue where clicking the dock icon would not restore minimized documents.
- Fixed issue where dragging a group of files that were already open in Kaleidoscope could cause issues resulting in not all new files being added.
- Fixed issue that made it possible for the comparison window to grow vertically offscreen on 10.9 leaving you with a window you could not reposition afterwards.
- Fixed issue that made it impossible to bring up the open dialog by clicking on an empty tab when fullscreen in 10.9.
- Fixed issue where sometimes full-screen windows would not be full-screen.
- Fixed small visual issues with the Ignored Files dialog window.
- Fixed documentation issues with ksdiff help.
- Improved Help Documentation.
- Various performance and stability fixes.
Nice diff tool from 2014
This app is a pretty nice file diff tool. Especially if you don't like the opendiff tool that comes with XCode for free. Kaleidoscope uses more helpful colors that make it a lot easier to trace where the data went in more complicated diffs and merges. It integrates quite nicely with GitBox too. And it doesn't consume lots of storage space as XCode does. Kaleidoscope comes with a way of diffing folders, too. It's not quite as easy as text file diff but still useful and I don't know another tool that'd be better.
- refuses to diff binary files. This is surely more complicated to visualize but still useful in hex mode.
- last update from 2014? But at least it's 64 bits already.
- it starts a little slowly.
Kaleidoscope is the most attractive, native-feeling diff tool for OS X. But the app has grown stale, with over 18 months since the last update of any kind. When the developer is asking $70 for a license, that’s not acceptable.
Read the other reviews to see that there are ongoing issues with the app that are being ignored.
Please add the feature where I can save diffs, such that, when I tap on the saved diff file, I would be presented with the diffs in Kaleidoscope.