MovieIndex generates a contact sheet from all video types.
▶ Handles every sort of videos, whatever QuickTime compliant (like .mov or ProRes, .m4v, …) or all others exotic videos (mts, mkv, avi, …ogv, webm).
▶ New in version 2.00: now, the application also supports modern video formats like the h265.
▶ Always displayed images at the good ratio (not badly stretched!)
▶ No comb's effect into images.
▶ Two quality modes, depending on the purpose of your cataloged video: to store onto disk or to print.
▶ And some classical customizable options: choose the size of images, their number, page background color, which captions you want as accompaniments and their size, …
▶ Optional feature: Can automatically adjust the number of thumbnails of your "contact sheet" according to the duration of your video (ie: what is the point of generating 64 thumbnails for a 10-second movie? ;-))
▶ Optional feature: Added an 'derush' option: to extract a thumbnail every (xx) seconds (…useful to identify your rushes before editing).
▶ Optional feature: Can generate an additional thumbnail for your Multimedia Hard Disk. If your device can display a thumbnail of your videos (ie: WD TV Live), so create it with your index page.
▶ The app runs in modern 64bit mode, is optimized for newest OS (from old OS 10.7 to latest one) and for Retina display.
MovieIndex, …because a "cataloged video" is far more convenient to consult than the video itself.
- New features:
• Generate an additional summary of all your loaded movies (so, create a contact sheet for every videos and their summary).
• New automatism: allow to directly load all videos from an SD card.
- Major Bugfix: due some system updates, "Transport Stream videos" (like .ts or .m2ts) produced a blank page. Corrected !
- User request: New preference to choose the size of the video captions (size: mini, medium or big)
- Optimizations: The app is far speeder with "Transport Stream videos" and more reliable (ie: memory management bug fixes, to allow to load more than 500 videos).
- Various minor bug fixes and improvements (45 changes).
Ratings and Reviews
Index size limitation
App works okay. My iMac 27” iMac can display 2560 x 1440 but the maximum contact sheet display width is 1200. I can fill the screen, but the thumbnails will be upscaled. I could print to PDF for higher resolution, but that pdf file would about 10 times the size of the jpg.
Does not function as specified.
This product doesn’t work as specified.
- Drag and Drop of Movies/Folders does not work. This severely limits the usefulness of the product.
- An advertisement for the sellers website is placed on the resulting photos. You may be able to remove the advertisement by rating the app, I don’t know.
- The screenshots are misleading and outdated. They don’t show the actual settings available.
- Was not able to specify an output folder. Again, the screenshots show an option for this, but it does not appear in my app.
- Does not allow user to set the size of the thumbnails, only allows the selection of a number from a few predefined templates.
- Does not offer customization or formatting of text which results in the output looking crude.
This application isn’t really an application, it is an advertisement, cobbled together from a limited user interface slapped onto command line utility functionality. I would avoid purchasing it.
I think this app is great but with a few updates it would be a perfect 10
I am a Digital Imaging Tech in the movie business. I use this app to make thumbnails for the editors at the post house to make it easier to see whats on the rolls delivered for editing. When you are working on a feature for 6 weeks and the amount of footage that is delivered to post is more than one can imagine, sometimes it can be a big task to see what is on every roll. With this app it is simple to just browse down each thumbnail to get an idea of what has come in that day. I would rate this app a perfect 10 if it added a few things. One being that it can do the same that it does for quicktime movies with R3D files so that I can use it when we are shooting with the RED camera and one other big one for me would be to be able to do the same with MXF files DNxHD so that when I make transcodes for all of those Avid editors, I could do the same for them as well. If this upgrade took place I would not even think twice about paying 10 times what is sold for today. Good job to the developers and I hope they take my suggestions for the next upgrade, as for I have turned on several Digital Imaging Techs in the business and they are just as happy as I am with the App and they also would love to see those suggestions come to reality on the next upgrade. Then you can easily up the price and for sure every DIT in the business would love to have this app as part of the workflow of a digital imaging technician. Thanks again.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.