Gappy Learns Reading - Teach kids to spell and read words with letter sounds
By Spinlight Studio
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Discover the awesome reading game that helps early learners master more than 200 three-letter words. In Gappy Learns Reading, you'll travel across four exciting worlds, spelling words to bridge the gaps and collect the parts you need to redesign Gappy's house. From a cozy cabin to a castle with a gingerbread roof, there are more than 700 creative combinations you can make in the primary learning adventure perfect for pint-size readers.
• 211 three-letter words for kids to learn, including 174 basic CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) and 37 common sight words.
• A fun puzzle game design for preschool and kindergarten learners who know the alphabet and are just beginning to read.
• 54 different house parts that let kids make 720 fanciful combinations.
• Four game levels that help children progress from basic letter identification to spelling words all on their own.
• Based on U.S. Common Core standards.
• The ability to switch cases, helping children learn capital and lowercase letters.
• Selectable word groupings that let players learn at their own pace.
• A teaching keypad with the name and sound of every letter.
• Plus app design that runs great on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch device.
Our Child-Safety Pledge.
Gappy Learns Reading contains:
• No third-party ads
• No social network links
• No easy web access
• No in-app purchases
There's more to explore.
Got kids who are ready to write? Download Gappy Learns Writing, one of Apple's top recommended Apps for Preschool & Kindergarten.
What's New in Version 1.6
One of the only phonics apps that gets it right
There are so many HORRIBLE phonics apps out there. So many people write them without understanding the basics of phonics instruction and phonemic awareness. I see way too many "phonics" apps that claim to be for beginning readers and spellers that include things like sight words that don't follow basic phonics rules and are not meant to be sounded out, or R-controlled vowels, digraphs, or diphthongs in what are supposed to be basic CVC words. Gappy gets it right. These are real CVC wordsthat are exactly what you need when you are teaching a child how to break a word into its individual phonemes and then use that info to spell the word. Since Spinlight Studio is one of the few to get this right, I am BEGGING you to add more apps or features: increase the field of letters that the child chooses from (maybe choices of 6, 8, or 10), make an app for CCVC words (stop, flat, crab) and CVCC words (fast, jump, pink, pots, mops); make a separate app or option for digraphs (sh, ch, th); make an app that compares CVC words to CVCe (silent e words: cap vs cape). Since you are one of the only developers who seems to get this, please make more!!
3 letter learning.
Another great app. Gappy teaches kids reading and spelling of 3 letter words in a fun environment. Love different levels of learning.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Feb 06, 2014
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 38.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Spinlight Studio
- © Spinlight Studio
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.