Night Film Decoder
By Random House Digital, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
** Users: If you are experiencing issues with the app, see the tips and FAQ at the end of this description for help with scanning images from the book.
** The official companion app for Marisha Pessl’s new novel, NIGHT FILM **
** Scan select images in NIGHT FILM with the Decoder app to unlock exclusive multimedia content **
** Works with any version of the book -- both print and eBook **
Brilliant, haunting, breathtakingly suspenseful, NIGHT FILM is a superb literary thriller by the New York Times bestselling author of the blockbuster debut Special Topics in Calamity Physics.
With the special companion app, you can continue the NIGHT FILM experience while reading the book. Interactive touch points buried throughout the text of the book will unlock extra content on your iOS device. These hidden Easter eggs include:
• Exclusive audio featuring characters from the book
• An original unpublished short story from the world of Night Film, "The Personal Diary of Miss Lulu Swallow"
• Image slideshows
Tips and Troubleshooting
1. How to use the app:
• Install the Night Film Decoder app on your device.
• Search for the spray-painted bird image in select illustrations throughout NIGHT FILM. When you see it, launch the app on your device and scan the illustration with the rear-facing camera on your device until a Play button appears on the screen. Hint: Not every one hides a secret.
• Press the Play button and enjoy.
2. Tips for Issues with Image Scanning
• Make sure you scan a large portion of the image, not just the spray-painted bird image
• The app only works with images that include the spray-painted bird icon
• Sometimes the app won’t recognize an image until it is in focus. Give your camera a second to focus on the image. You can also double tap your camera screen to help it adjust its focus controls.
• If you are having trouble getting the app to recognize an image, try moving your device closer or further away from it until you see the red play button.
3. App Support
• If you experience any problems with the Night Film Decoder app, please e-mail us at email@example.com
What's New in Version 1.1.3
Minor bug fixes and other improvements
The book totally sucked me in and I was so looking forward to these extra, interactive features. It worked like a charm on every page with a spray-painted bird. I'm not sure others could not get it to work. Maybe they focused the camera on the actual bird (which the novel's directions seem to suggest) rather than scanning the main content on the page? And yes, none of the features was crucial to the plot but they did add that extra icing to the cake of "Night Film" and brought an already suspenseful novel to even more life!
Works if you scan full image
As other reviewers stated, scan the full image (not just the birds) to access the Easter eggs.
I liked some of the extra content, especially "Bartho Lore," the Prufrock recitation, and the diary. But, I found it ANNOYING that the audio content stopped playing every time my iPhone went to sleep.
So, don't plan to listen to the 5/7/12 minute audio files when your hands are dirty (cooking or doing dishes) as you're constantly having to fiddle w your phone. Blah. 😞
Adds a fun layer to the book
"Night Film" is a fun, twisty read, and the app makes it an immersive experience. I scanned the images on a Kindle Paperwhite and most worked, with the lone exception being the CD cover. Some of the bonus content was surprisingly well done.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Sep 19, 2013
- Version: 1.1.3
- Size: 97.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Random House Digital, Inc.
- © Random House LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.