Baldur's Gate II
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you...”
Kidnapped. Imprisoned. Tortured. The wizard Irenicus holds you captive in his stronghold, attempting to strip you of the powers that are your birthright.
Can you resist the evil within you, forge a legend of heroic proportions, and ultimately destroy the dark essence that haunts your dreams? Or will you embrace your monstrous nature, carve a swath of destruction across the realms, and ascend to godhood as the new Lord of Murder?
Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition includes the original Shadows of Amn campaign, as well as the following expansions:
* Throne of Bhaal: Travel to Tethyr in this thrilling conclusion to the Bhaalspawn saga, and delve into the treasure-filled halls of Watcher’s Keep!
* Fist of the Fallen: Help the Sun Soul Monk Rasaad find peace in his quest for vengeance, and determine the fate of a heretical sect.
* Unbound: Join the Blackguard Dorn in carving a swath of destruction across the Realms, as he struggles to appease the increasingly bloody demands of his dark patron.
* A Shadow’s Life: Recruit the mysterious Thief Hexxat and take up her mission of retrieving long lost artifacts from tombs as far away as Zakhara..
* In Defense of the Wild: Protect the innocent and stand with Neera the Wild Mage against a ruthless school of Red Wizards.
* The Black Pits II: Gladiators of Thay: Explore the tactical depth of high-level Dungeons & Dragons combat. Turn your captors against each other while you dodge traps and battle for your life against Demi-Liches, Mind Flayers, and the legendary Githyanki.
* Gallery of Heroes II: Keiren Yanner: Expand your character collection with these six beautifully painted hero portraits from acclaimed artist Keiren Yanner!
* Easy Multiplayer: Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition makes it easy to find, list, and join multiplayer games, even while behind a firewall.
* Widescreen and More: Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition features full widescreen support, remastered area artwork from original renders, and a host of other interface and gameplay improvements.
Spectacular Import, Buggy Upgrades
So, as a port of BG:2, this game leaves little to be desired, however, those several little things add up to be an irritating gaming experience.
About 2 more updates of bug fixes from beam dog, and this will be the definitive game on the App Store for a whole to come.
I've played for one night and already encountered massive bugs. Mostly pertaining to the new stuff, black pits.
After making a character save file from black pits, that save file no longer seems to be updatable from black pits. So, if I want to export fighter again, I can't use file fighter, I have to make an extra file, figter01. On iOS devices, there is no way to delete all the extra files without using third party software. In addition, sometimes exporting from black pits sometimes takes permanent spell failure out of the pits with your character.
Multiplayer in the black pits is essentially unplayable. Single player works fine, but multiplayer it's hard to complete a fight without a crash.
Abilities just get so irritating to use as to become unmanageable, because you have to memorize every single icon in the game. You cant use tooltips from the place you activate you abilities for combat from, you have to go find them through menus, and some of them, like you HLAs, aren't listed anywhere. If you forget which icon is which, you just gotta kind of guess till you get it right and remember the icon.
This May Be Too Much Game For You
Baldur's Gate II is epic. Not slang epic or hyperbolically epic, but for real, straight up denotatively epic. I have never before met an RPG with such depth and grandeur. This is the kind of game only serious gamers get involved with. It's the kind of game you spend three times the amount of time studying how to play than you do playing it. It's the kind of game you have to commit to as a learning experience, the way you would commit to learning French, or how to surf. And when you've mastered it, you include it as part of your skill set: "Why yes, I can cook with the best of them, critique obscure literature, check someone twice my size in hockey and, oh..yes, I can play Baldur's Gate II."
It's the kind of game you play and then wish you hadn't played because no other game can live up to it. It's my kind of game.
It might not be yours though. It takes fortitude, curiosity, resourcefulness and tenacity. Don't spend $15 on this game and then whine about it being too hard. It's not too hard. You're too lazy. And now you've been warned.
Yes, it is fun, yet disappointing. Mostly disappointing.
The interface relies on being able to mouse over things and right-click them to quickly get more info. Remove these and you have a game that isn't fun unless you already have mastered every pixel on a different device. You want to know what the 30 spells your characters have memorized? Have fun with press-and-hold, and make sure you remember every little icon. Even better, in combat, the icon is on a different background so you can't tell what it is. And yes, I *did* play BG2 on the PC years ago. So this isn’t the first time I’ve ever played this game.
Furthermore, I hit a point right near the start of chapter 2 (The circus) where if you enter, you can’t get out until you complete it, and your characters aren’t strong enough to beat the shadows. So your game is over unless you had a previous save before you went in. There is no way out. You’re dead. Sorry.
Sure, it's probably got hundreds of hours of gameplay, but with a gameplay that's infuriating, I don't see how that's much fun. For $15, it's just not worth it. I took a chance, oh well.
- Category: Games
- Released: Dec 25, 2013
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 1.92 GB
- Language: English
- Seller: IdeaSpark Labs Inc.
- © Copyright 2013 Overhaul Games
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- New Party Member: Hexxat$2.99
- New Party Member: Neera the Wild Mage$2.99
- New Party Member: Dorn Il-Khan$2.99
- Yanner portrait pack$2.99