Have fun while learning a language with Memrise! The more you enjoy learning, the more (and quicker) you will learn. This is why entertainment mixed with real-life, relevant content is at the very core of the Memrise language learning experience.
Learn French, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, German, Korean, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, Danish, Swedish, Polish, Norwegian, Turkish, Dutch, Icelandic, Mongolian, or even learn English.
Best of 2016
iPad App of the Year - Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark
Do you want to connect with the world? Get ready for your next trip or adventure abroad? Improve your grammar? Then join our community of over 30 million language learners and develop real-life language skills through a rich variety of easy-to-use games, innovative chatbots and over 30,000 native speaker videos. Learning a new language has never been so simple!
- OBJECT RECOGNITION: Explore the world around you and learn new vocab on the go. Scan your surroundings and snap a pic. Save images and the snapped object’s name in your chosen language.
- Learn with Locals: Real people helping you learn real, everyday language in context.
- A variety of exciting interactive games to learn and practice: Speed Review, Listening Skills, Difficult Words, Classic Review…
- Pronunciation guide: Speak like a local by recording and comparing your pronunciation with locals.
- Offline mode: Put your language skills to the test whenever and wherever is convenient for you.
- Daily goals: Learn as many or as few words a day as you like, Memrise is tailored to you.
Why learn a new language with Memrise? For our international team, nothing is more special than the ability to connect with new countries and cultures through language, and we want to share this with you! This is why we only teach useful, everyday words and phrases that enable you to have real conversations with real people.
How? Our talented linguists and language experts work side-by-side with our world-class team of developers to create the very best language courses and games that are simple, enjoyable and accessible to everyone.
Download the Memrise Pro language learning app and start your language journey now.
One-month subscription for $8.99
Three-month subscription for $18.99
Twelve-month subscription for $59.99
Lifetime subscription for $179.99
You will need a Memrise subscription in order to access all courses and features. Courses available may vary depending on the language of your device.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
Your learning journey with Memrise continues in:
Our bugbuster squad has been hard at work capturing the paranormal code that usually starts app-haunting this time of year. It is now forever trapped in our ecto-containment system. We’re now off to have some pumpkin-spiced lattes. [Cue Bugbusters theme]
Ratings and Reviews
With Memrise, language learning’s a game—the irresistible kind that anyone can pick up and play. It teaches you everyday words and phrases—perfect for your next trip abroad—and reinforces them with fun quizzes and playful images. We get an awesome sense of progress every time we use it.
This is coming from someone who has studied Japanese in college. I decided to use this to review and hopefully learn some new things. If you already know a good amount of Japanese already just skip to Japanese 2. The Japanese at this level is still fairly basic but it provides a lot of Kanji to learn and vocabulary as well. I think the key part of this app that may benefit a lot of people is its heavy use of vocals, which includes *some* examples from native speakers as well. Most of the vocal examples are slow and chopped up which would help break things down for new learners, but your key examples of how you should speak come from the short clips of actual Japanese people. The greatest (and yet annoying) part of this app is just how much you review material. Every time you have a lesson where you learn something new, you will have like 2 lessons of review before you learn something else. I say it’s annoying because I already know a lot so I don’t feel like I need to review things a million times, but in all honesty this method drills the knowledge into your brain effectively. If you want to get the most out of this make sure you repeat back everything you hear so you can learn it faster and retain it. Solid app so far.
What I was missing with Duolingo - but too pricy
I love Duolingo and use it every day, but I find some languages on the app are better set up than others. When I started learning Danish, I kept using it as obsessively as I had with other languages, but I found that something was missing. Memrise fills in the gap with native speakers in brief clips, reinforcing the correct pronunciation I’d been struggling with mastering on the Duolingo app. It’s also so helpful to see phrases and words in repetition on this app, which helps enormously with memorizing new words. I’m going to use both of these apps in tandem and I’m extremely excited to start using Memrise as part of my daily routine and to try out other languages on the app as well. I’m only on level two but I love it so far!
EDIT: However, I think it is incredibly pricy for the limited amount of words that are available. The highest level will get you some elementary vocabulary, but 60 a year or 9 dollars a month is just far too expensive for something that does not get you in depth understanding of the language. It is set up incredibly well but until the developers offer a higher level of fluency and additional levels I can’t imagine myself paying for it, which is very disappointing.
- 150.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 Memrise
- In-App Purchases
- 1-Month Pro Subscription $8.99
- Memrise Pro $29.99
- 3-Month Pro Subscription $18.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.