By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 150 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they're offline.
• Manage mobile app remotely with Google for Work.
Note: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged.
What's New in Version 12.1.0
• Improved navigation in conversation including jumping to last read message
It works just like it's supposed to. And that's all.
This app is more stable for me than Skype and the interface is ok. The app doesn't really take care of my security needs but then again, it's great for casual chatting with my family. I initially found it difficult to start a chat session on my laptop but after a few tries, I eventually got the hang of it. The laptop interface feels awkward in that I have to create a hangouts session and then invite people to join me instead of just clicking on someone and having the call go through to them. I also have an apparent issue on my Samsung Note 4 where if i make a call, my screen will intermittently lock up and i wont be able to use other apps at the same time. I can't even vertical swipe my phone to bring back my home screen. It just locks up. This is an annoying and ongoing issue. I can not recommend this app for businesses or for people who value secure, private communications but on the whole, the app does a passable job. If the app implemented end to end encryption and included innovative features like the ability to send money, bitcoins or even had a virtual marketplace built into the app, then the app would be indispensable. Right now, it's only passable.
It's great but...
There's a quite a few annoying bugs. Hangouts is the app I tend to use to talk with my friends, so these glitches make it difficult to communicate. Sometimes while trying to send a picture or send a text or exit a call back to messages, my screen goes black, and disables me from doing anything. When the screen comes back, the next time I tap my screen, it does the same thing. The most annoying bug though, is the fact the on multiple occasions, I'm usually reading or watching something on my phone while my friends text. Many times, it allows me to send without having to open the app. On occasion, and by occasion, I mean almost daily, I attempt to use this feature, and the message does not send. I only find this out when I open the app, most likely multiple hours after, to see that it is only now sending after I open the app. This is very annoying and I advise you to attempt to fix this for any other individuals experiencing the same dilemma. Thank you for the app, and I hope you will be able to fix these irritating issues.
Too Many Issues
This app is really incompatible with a few others, ending up in a lot of annoying bugs and glitches. For example, when I switch to Hangouts after having a specific app open, a crash report window pops up even though the app didn't crash. Also, after leaving a conversation and joining it again, there is severe lag in the entire app for 1-10 minutes, depending on how many previous messages there are. This could easily be fixed by simply erasing everything after you leave instead of trying to recreate every single message. If you play any other sounds while in a call, all the audio to and from your device in the call is cut off and you have to reconnect. These issues are constant, and sometimes layered, making it really difficult to work with and talk to people while doing other things. It gets the job done, but only as long as it's the only job you're doing.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Sep 10, 2016
- Version: 12.1.0
- Size: 91.6 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc. 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.