No heart rate sensor or special hardware required. Use any cardio machine! As seen on Wired, Engadget, Stephen Fry's Gadget Man and more - BitGym upgrades your cardio machine with stunning interactive trails from around the world. Each tour can be streamed instantly or downloaded locally for use at the gym.
Note: Please make sure to allow camera access to the app once it asks!
- Try certain tours free as long as you wish or upgrade to Premium for the full experience.
- Workout with world class trainers or at your own pace.
- No hardware required - BitGym tracks your exercise speed by using the front-facing camera on your device.
- Works on any bike, elliptical, stepper, erg or treadmill - just place your iPhone or iPad down so you're in view and start exercising.
- Our library of 100+ tours is available via streaming or local download.
- View the tours to your TV using an Apple TV or a HDMI cable.
- Track all your workouts and calories burned using Apple Health or share your workout log as an image to any social network.
- Connected your Bluetooth Smart (LE/4.0) heart rate monitor for heart rate monitoring and increased accuracy in calorie counting.
- Circle the globe with the all new "Circuits" feature which organizes tours by geography and type.
“I used to hate indoor exercise on any machine. With BitGym, the beautiful scenery draws me in, and before I know it my 30 minutes is up. Now I can't wait to exercise to see where BitGym is going to take me! I have lost weight, my health has improved greatly, and I am strong again! Thanks BitGym!” "
-Rebecca, North Dakota
“What a fabulous invention you have. I LOVE it! Scenery is beautiful, and I love how the speed adjusts to my pace. A+++++. Thank you - I am walking much longer and happier with this app.”
“I only used the gym in my apartment twice before BitGym, now I find myself using it twice a week with the aid of the gorgeous BitGym trails. The longest I could stay in the gym before was half an hour, but with the multitude of different interesting trails to choose from I've been able to increase my average workout to 1-2 hours! I love that I can be at the gym longer and more often now I have BitGym motivating me.”
If you like walking on your treadmill we suggest selecting on of our Trail locations which are scenic paths filmed at a slower pace for walkers and joggers. If you run or jog on their treadmill we suggest loading one of our Mixed tours which combine urban landscapes and beautiful trails filmed at a moderate pace. Those with an elliptical, stepper or glider cardio machine should try both Trail and Mixed locations. Those with a spin bike, recumbent bike, upright bike, indoor cycle or bike mounted on a trainer tend to prefer or Road tours although the Mixed tours are popular as well.
BitGym is billed as a monthly subscription.
- The subscription costs 7.99 USD a month in the US. For other regions please consult the price shown inside of the app.
- The subscription will be billed directly to your iTunes Account at the confirmation of purchase.
- The subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
This version fixes two crash issues reported by users which tended to occur with downloaded tours. We also squashed a bug saving checkpoint progress when ending a workout across multiple tours.
Ratings and Reviews
Best Available But Needs Work
I’ve tried 5 or 6 apps with the same concept. This is the best of them so far. However, it stutters a lot, even on a Wi-Fi network, and a lot of times it goes into an “initializing” mode in the middle of a workout and stutters backward through the video.
The coached workouts could be improved by not having the coach’s face on there — just the audio (no offense to the coach meant at all — just not all Wi-Fi m earbuds work well with syncing with the video, so this puts the audio out of sync with the mouth moving — we can’t all afford a $160 pair of Apple headphones). So removing the facial video inset would make the coached version work better for a greater majority of people. Also, it would be move to be able to have the music track separate from the coaching, so then we could use our own music, the same as on the uncoached version.
I would also like to see an option for integration with fitness devices like Fitbit. The camera only doesn’t really do a good job of matching pace. A direct reading from a fitness device would be better. And it could also take heart readings from that, too, and not be limited to an independent heart rate monitor.
It’s almost like I’m really there...
I’ve been using BitGym for almost 3 years now and could not be any more enthusiastic about it. I bought a treadmill that was iFit enabled and that software was a disaster, IMO. So I went looking for a similar, video guide of runs and landed on BitGym.
The pros: seriously immersive experience. The video quality is fantastic and the routes are gorgeous. I’ve hiked several of the trails irl and it truly brings me back like I’m actually running on thru the forest, along the beach, or in the heart of the city. The interesting facts that pop up are easily enough ignored, but I like them as a way to refocus my mind and learn something new.
The cons: it doesn’t sync with my treadmill to automatically raise/lower the incline. Occasionally the app crashes mid-run, though this occurred more often the first year or two I was using it and less often now.
Wishlist: for someone to upload marathon and half marathon routes from beginning to end. Not during the actual race, but the route so that I could experience what running the route would actually be like. More trails. Now that users can upload high quality video, I hope to see something like that in a future release. It would also be fantastic to know what cities/trails/hikes are on queue or on a list for eventually, if it gets some users to help out.
In all, a 5* app that has been my go-to when I’m training indoors and keeps getting better with time. Definitely a satisfied user!
Very good, but could be even better
I have been using BitGym for a while but wanted to wait for some time to try most of the trails and features before I leave a review. As others have, I also tried a number of other apps and this one has been the best so far. The trails are great, video quality is excellent on my iPad Pro, and I have not had any issues during the video playback. I am also very happy with the choices of trails and the locations selected. The app controls are extremely easy to use and there is no learning curve. I also appreciate that I can use this app for multiple exercises, running, Elliptical, bike machine, etc. I have all 3 and use the app for every workout.
So how could it get better? Really two things. In another very similar app, there is an option to use vibration to detect movement of the user or the speed of movement instead of the iPad/iPhone camera. It would be excellent if BitGym can support this feature as well. The camera does not always work well depending on room lighting and the video sometimes stops mid play thinking the user has stopped.
Another improvement would be to work with the older iFit equipment that are audio controlled instead of Bluetooth controlled. There are still many devices like this in use.
Overall, I highly recommend this app. It has definitely helped make my workouts more enjoyable as I visit some of the most beautiful and amazing sites around the world!
- Active Theory Inc
- 134.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Active Theory Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- BitGym $7.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.