EMPIRE: The Deck Building Strategy Game
By Crazy Monkey Studios
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“Empire is so tight it squeaks, and I suspect it’s the best game I’ve played this year.” - pockettactics.com – 10/10
"This is the iPad game of the year. Highly polished." - ipadboardgames.org - 9/10
“With Empire, Burgun and co. strip back the 4X genre to its fundamental parts, add a few twists of their own, and then chuck in some deck-building strategy for fun.” - pocketgamer.co.uk – 8/10
The barbarous tribes who fought amongst themselves for so many aeons are at last able to come together to found a wondrous civilization. Is yours the first of its kind in this world, or one of many? No man knows, but what all men know is that their Empire must not only survive, but flourish!
The world is full of terrible horrors, however, and they will wear away at your Empire from all sides. Natural resources have become more scarce. And perhaps worst of all, your powerful Empire has grown heavy and full of internal strife with its age. How long can you stand the pressures of survival before your Empire finally comes crumbling back down into the desolated earth from which it grew?
UPDATE 1.1: the big one! New Emperor selection, gem resource, balance tweaks and bug fixes. It is good to be the Emperor!
EMPIRE introduces the world's first "Deck-Building 4X Strategy Game". EMPIRE is a quick, easy-to-learn yet difficult to master strategy/tactics game. FEATURES:
- Choose from 3 unique emperors to play, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
- Procedurally generated worlds mean that no two games will be alike. Will you find valuable mountains to mine military materials from? Food-rich forests that will grow your Empire quickly?
- A unique take on the deck building mechanism similar to those in Dominion, Puzzle Strike or Ascension. Your deck grows during the game, and it fills with both useful Action Cards, powerful Spell Cards, -- and also totally useless Strife Cards. Managing your deck is an important part of staying strong!
- Dozens of interesting tactical cards featuring excellent art from concept artist Gilles Ketting.
- A unique grid based tactical combat system. Use your Action and Spell cards to get the upper hand and destroy the enemy forces!
- Unlike traditional 4X strategy games which not only take hours, but tend to become slow and boring late game, EMPIRE is a quick, elegant knife-fight of a game.
- Designed by indie game design superstar Keith Burgun, creator of 100 Rogues.
We have tons of plans for the game in terms of future content additions, balance patches, extra game modes, and other support.
Please check out our website at: http://empire-game.net/
Or come chat with us at our forums: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/forum/index.php?forums/empire.12/
What's New in Version 1.2.2
- Fixed bug that prevented monster nests to reach tier 3.
- Removed save files that had become corrupt which caused the game to crash when trying to pick spoils.
- Decreased starting strife cards of senator by 1, war chief by 2 and wizard by 1.
- The Wizard now starts with 1 grit card.
Imperfect TBS Perfection
Don't get me wrong; I love this game. I wished - oh, how I wished I could give it 5 stars. But there's a little polish lacking in this otherwise brilliant gem.
On an iPhone 5S, it crashes. A lot. It crashes when I'm starting a new game. It crashes when I'm responding to a text notification. It crashes. On the plus side your game recovers nicely about half the time when you start it back up.
The gameplay itself has been described as a roguelike crossed with Civilization crossed with a deck hiking game like Ascension or Dominion. And that pretty much nails it. You struggle against the increasingly unfair odds, and then you lose. But it's tuned well and addictive to play and well worth the confusion you'll feel even after the tutorial. It's worth reading the extensive help manual, though you should be able to figure it out during repeated gameplay.
The only flaw in the actual game itself is that when the endgame nears, it's quite apparent, and the actual playing out can be a little dull. Unfortunately here's no easy way to suicide and save your score, you have to abandon the game instead from the main menu.
These quibbles aside, this is a shining example of innovation: embracing, refining, and extending familiar game tropes into a heady brew all it's own. Highly recommended.
Would be 5 without the crashes
It's truly a shame I can't rate this a 5, as the game itself and the mechanisms included are worthy of that praise. Yet after many hours of playing this, I ultimately have to knock it way down.
The game crashes. A lot. But that alone isn't the big issue. You see normally when it crashes, you're able to select "continue game" upon reloading the app and pick up right where you left off. In fact, it was because of this that I was able to continue enjoying the game and refine my strategy to get ever higher scores. But every once in a while the game will crash and LOSE your game, making you restart. Initially this won't seem like too big a deal to you, since you can't "beat" the game anyway. But later, when you're in games up over 500 points like my last was, when you lose all your work because of a stupid crash issue, it pretty much kills the fun. So with that, despite my supreme enjoyment of the gameplay, I will not play this again or recommend it to others until an update fixes the crash problem. Why should I bother? Why play only to lose my game to a bug that should've been addressed before launch. So be warned about this before buying - if you end up truly enjoying and immersing yourself in this game, this issue will end up haunting you.
Taking the best parts of civ, deck building games and a rougelike twist this is a great game for folks who know the best experiences aren't all about winning all the time. Stave off an eminent doom for as long as possible to gather victory points. Crybabies need not apply!
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jan 09, 2014
- Version: 1.2.2
- Size: 96.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Crazy Monkey Studios Bvba
- © Crazy Monkey Studios
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.