Equal Cards Pro
By Lisa Englard
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Are you a student in grades K-5? Do you need more practice finding unknowns in math equations? Do you want to really understand what the equal sign means?
Are you the parent of a child who struggles with mental math strategies?
Are you a teacher who wants to build fact fluency and algebraic thinking?
Then Equal Cards Pro is the perfect app for you!
Developed by a K-8 Math Specialist with the Common Core State Standards in mind, the Equal Cards app:
* Promotes understanding of equality
* Fosters algebraic reasoning
* Encourages the development of mental math strategies
- 100 engaging exercise for grades K-5
- Extra UNLIMITED PRACTICE
- Problems with all four operations
- Increasing level of difficulty
- A variety of problem templates for increased challenge
- Displays equations with color indicators for precise error checking
- Verbal feedback is given specific to student entries
- Game Center Achievement Badges
1. Addition within 10
2. Addition/Subtraction within 10
3. Addition/Subtraction within 100
4. All operations within 100
5. All operations within 1,000
• COMMON CORE CONNECTION:
Researchers have found that students often view the equal sign as a “do something” signal. What can we do to help students absorb the concept of balance that the equal sign represents?
The Common Core Standards for Grade 1 Mathematics provide us with a guide:
"Understand the meaning of the equal sign, and determine if equations involving addition and subtraction are true or false. For example, which of the following equations are true and which are false? 6 = 6, 7 = 8 – 1, 5 + 2 = 2 + 5, 4 + 1 = 5 + 2."
In order for young children to appreciate the balance inherent in an equation, they need to see different forms of number sentences, where numbers and operations can appear on either side of the equal sign:
1 + 3 = 4, but also 4 = 1 + 3
4 + 1 = 3 + 2, leading to 4 + 1 = __ + 2
In the second example above, many children will instinctively fill the blank with a 5, having become accustomed to the direction of “add 1 to 4” that they believe the equal sign represents. By offering students a variety of number sentences and focusing on the relationship between the two sides of the equal sign, students build the concept of balance and develop true understanding of equality.
We hope you enjoy this app, and will write us a great review!
We welcome your feedback!
to send comments, questions, or concerns.
- Category: Education
- Released: Jul 30, 2013
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 3.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Lisa Englard
- © 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.