PDFpen Scan+ with OCR, PDF text export
By SmileOnMyMac, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With PDFpen Scan+, use your iPhone or iPad to scan and OCR multi-page documents to create searchable PDFs. Scan directly with your iPhone or iPad camera. Crop and enhance the scan. Perform OCR. Copy OCR text. Email, export, and share PDF documents.
* Scan and OCR on your iPhone or iPad with the power you'd expect from a desktop computer
* Use your iPhone or iPad as a portable scanner
* Scan documents, articles, receipts, recipes, and more
* Extract text from scans using OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
* Share PDFs of scans with full OCR text via email and popular Cloud services, including Dropbox and Evernote
The scanning and OCR power you need in a beautifully-designed application that's always with you!
- One-touch scanning directly from your iPhone or iPad camera
- Scan multiple images into a single document
- Detect page edges automatically and crop scan
- Use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to convert scans into searchable PDFs (OCR is performed in-app, not sent to a cloud service)
- Preview and copy text recognized by OCR
- OCR documents in 18 different languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Slovenian, Polish, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese (Simplified and Traditional)
- Email and share PDF documents with embedded, searchable OCR text
- Import scans from your photo library
- Import scans from image and PDF files via "Open In..."
- Store documents in iCloud for sharing between devices
- Rotate scanned pages
- Folder support for document organization
- TextExpander touch support for renaming documents
- Enhance brightness/contrast of scanned pages
- Adjust scan resolution for color, grayscale, and text
- Print documents
- Share documents with PDFpen for markup and editing
- Import and Export documents using Dropbox, Evernote, Box, Alfresco, and Google Drive cloud services
- Import and Export documents using iTunes, FTP, and WebDAV
- Works with both iPhone and iPad, iOS 7 required; iPhone 4S or later is strongly recommended.
Smile offers fast and friendly support. If you have any questions or feedback we'd love to hear from you. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Version 1.3
• Updated for iOS 7, which is now required
• Enhanced user interface and usability
• Adds “Receipt” and “Custom” paper sizes
• Preview OCR text as page overlay
• New scan cropping features improve precision and ease of use
• Effortless multi-page scans
• Improved OCR accuracy and OCR text layout
• New page rotation animations
• Post-process cropping and image adjustments for smoother workflow
• New page badges show unprocessed images
Digging it so far
Trying to decide between this app and ABBYY's TextGrabber
Works Great! - Only A Few Issues...
Just installed PDFpen Scan+ OCR. I've been waiting for an app with 'In-App' true OCR capabilities for years. In testing the functionality of this app I've only come across a few issues so far, which are not major issues that would prevent me from using your great app.
1. Documents created with OCR in PDFpen Scan+ OCR and 'Open('d) In...' the Adobe PDF app only display the first page and then locks up the Adobe Reader app. Sliding between pages in Adobe only displays the first page and subsequent pages are blank. Also the Adobe Reader app will not display the menus or allow closing of the document. This may be more of an issue with Adobe Reader than PDFpen Scan+ as I did not have any issues with several other iPad apps when displaying the same document. The document I was trying to view in Reader had been OCR rendered in PDFpen Scan+.
2. Documents sent to PDFpen Scan+ OCR from other apps with 'Open In..." functions which already have a rendered text overlay PDFpen strips off the existing OCR text. You can re-OCR the document so this may be intentional, but I thought I'd mention it. It may be useful to see the original rendered text to compare it to the OCR results obtained by this app's engine.
3. When importing documents from other apps to PDFpen Scan+ that are password protected, the document pages import but are blank. The app should allow you to enter your password and then import the document. I would like to see support for password encrypted documents in PDFpen Scan+. I have a number of documents that I've scanned or saved with other apps that are password protected and stored in Evernote and Google Drive. They've never been OCR'd. I would like the ability to import these, OCR the document, and then re-save or export the document with password protection. The competitor's DocScan HD app doesn't provide 'in-app' OCR rendering, but does support importing of password protected PDF documents. A few of the PDF editing programs do allow you to add password protection to documents and then save or export them, but that creates a two-step process.
To the developement team, please consider adding support for password protected PDF files, both while importing and exporting documents from this app.
Also, please work with Adobe to figure out what the document compatibility issues are between your app and theirs.
Finally, adding WiFi access to the PDFpen Scan+ OCR document library would be helpful as another option for moving files between the scanning device and a computer. I know you've implemented iCloud sharing for this, but having WiFi would also provide additional capability between non-Apple devices (e.g. Windows & a Web Browser) without going through a cloud service like Evernote, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
Thank you for filling a long standing void in this scanner app marketplace by providing 'True In-App' OCR functionality. I'll be looking forward to your future improvements and updates.
- Category: Business
- Updated: Apr 17, 2014
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 32.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: SmileOnMyMac, LLC
- © 2013 SmileOnMyMac, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.