Terminology is a browser for the English language – part dictionary, part thesaurus and part research tool. Terminology makes it easy to explore words and phrases, diving down to more and less specific terms - accessing the web and other apps for more detail and sharing.
More than a dictionary, Terminology can be extended with custom actions to search the Internet and other reference apps – making it a great place to start all your searches.
Use the share extension to select text anywhere, in any app, and look it up in Terminology.
### Dictionary, Thesaurus & Search
- Offline U.S. English dictionary and word reference with simple clear definitions.
- Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and deeper word relations such as: more and less specific words, part, part of, members, member of, pertains to and more.
- Favorite terms.
- Word browsing history.
- Add your own notes to any term.
- Audio pronunications.
- Wildcard (?,*) searching.
- Spelling suggestions.
- Fast, reliable, iCloud (CloudKit) sync and backup of history, favorites, notes and actions.
- Term of the day.
- Alternate App icons. (PRO only)
- Dark theme. (PRO only)
### Extensible Actions
Actions provide quick links to lookup and search your terms on websites and in other apps. Ready to use actions for popular reference sites like Wikipedia, Dictionary.com, Google, IMDb, Snopes and more, or create your own with simple URL templates.
### All the Latest Technologies
- Drag and drop text into Terminology to lookup, or drag out full text definitions and related words to other apps!
- Select alternate home screen icon!
- Share extension lets you access Terminology from a text selection in any app.
- Today widget for quick access.
- Drag and drop.
- 3D Touch support.
- iPad Multitasking/Split View support.
- Spotlight and Handoff support.
### More Features
- Extensive support for URL scheme integration via x-callback-url. Visit our website for details.
- Great support for Accessibility features like VoiceOver and Dynamic Text.
### About the Dictionary
- Terminology's offline dictionary is based on the latest 3.1 version of the Princeton University WordNet project and contains U.S. English words.
We love to hear your feedback, please contact us.
Ready for the latest iPad screen sizes.
Ratings and Reviews
Fabulous Writer’s Resource!
Recently revisited Terminology—it’s incredibly useful for accessing a myriad of resources for a particular word (as simple as highlighting the word on a webpage). So many link options—dictionaries, thesauruses, wikis, rhymes, images, browsers, etc. Thanks, Agile Tortoise Team!
Sharesheet And Back
In any app highlight the word. Check for shades of meaning. Then jump Beck to your original text.
Audio pronunciations... So far dead reliable...
Redundant, full of ads
Just pull down from the home screen and type your word in the search bar.
Apple’s result from the system Dictionary never has ads.
- Agile Tortoise
- 84.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2018 by Agile Tortoise, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.