PebbGPS - Pebble Smartwatch maps and directions
By Nathan Oates
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Put a mini map on your Pebble smart watch, and get turn-by-turn directions to a destination!
Please also install the watchface from the Pebble App Store.
- Main mode: Map + current address at bottom
- Hit up button: Turn-by-turn arrow + instructions
- Hit down button: Turn-by-turn arrow + map
- Hit middle button: Pops up a menu for zoom, grayscale and GPS controls. Keep hitting middle to rotate through and/or dismiss
- Turn-by-turn requires a destination to be set in the iOS app first!
Map types: Terrain, Satellite, Hybrid and Streetmap
Map depth: Black&White or Grayscale
Walking and driving directions
Optional buzzes to alert you to upcoming turns
Address book integration
Control zoom level and map depth from the watch
Built-in battery saving techniques:
- Phone GPS shuts off after a few minutes if not using the watchface.
- Intelligent background updating to minimise CPU time in the background (iPhone 5 or later)
You can only have one third-party iOS app talking to your Pebble at once.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.3.0
- Please unload and reload the watchface from the Pebble App Store to ensure you have the most recent version
- Optional buzzes for navigation when within 200m of a turn (~650 ft). Left is a short pulse, right is a double pulse.
- Address book integration - choose a contact, click their address and the search is done.
- Recent destination searches are now saved and can be selected from a list.
- Improved turn direction detection at "complicated" turns, such as roundabouts.
- Improved filtering of GPS drift (mainly evident at corners).
- In some instances, users were hitting the 24h IP-based API limit on the maps (especially when using "update more often"). This manifests itself as a very odd-looking map that doesn't change at all. I've implemented a few things to make this less likely, but am looking at other options to solve it completely.
- Notify users if they have location services off or if PebbGPS does not have proper location services authorisation
- A few other miscellaneous bugs fixes along the way
If you enjoy PebbGPS, or have any suggestions, please leave a rating in iTunes and/or drop me a note through the Pebble App Store
A toy...at most
Although this App has a good idea, it is at most a toy. The navigation mode can barely work because the app cannot locate you accurately. Moreover, browsing map on that tiny screen is inconvenient and dangerous. I ran actually into people a few times when trying to read the watch. All in all, it looks really cool and promising but needs improvement.
Good idea, but too hard to read
I was excited to find this app, but the graphics and rendering are too poor to be of use. Streets disappear when zoomed all the way in. Mystery areas appear in all black, giving the impression of nonexistent lakes and rivers. It has potential, but needs a lot of work before it will be worth purchasing.
Looks good so far
Only got my Pebble yesterday & installed this app last night. A little confusing but does work.