Tydlig - Calculator Reimagined
By Tydlig Software AB
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Calculators have changed very little since the 1970s - while phones from that era look ancient. Why should calculators cling to a 40 year old design with a wall of buttons and one row for results in the age of retina displays? We deserve something better. Tydlig brings the calculator to the next level for iPhone & iPad with innovations like freeform canvas, responsive results and linked numbers.
Tydlig is perfect for calculating everyday things like tips and discounts, showing the entire history and allowing you to change any number with instant updates. For deeper calculations real-time graphing is an excellent way to explore and visualize things like bank interest rates and trigonometric functions.
* Responsive results: Edit any number on the canvas and see all results update automatically. Let your calculator work for you, not the other way around.
* Linked numbers: With a result selected, press any operation to create a linked number below. Responsive results will cascade down these links.
* All history is stored on an infinite scrolling canvas. Drag numbers around and reuse them as you wish.
* Annotate any number with an attached text label, like a freestyle spreadsheet.
* Real-time graphing: Link numbers to a graph and any change to the expression will instantly update the graph. Perfect when trying to explore how functions work and behave.
* Use the Slider to tweak any number and see results and graphs update in real-time. Combined with the graph it is an excellent way to visualize and teach math. Tap the slider to toggle between discrete and continuous modes.
* Share the entire canvas by printing, or exporting as a high quality PDF. You can also copy calculations as text, or save the visible area as an image which can be used in other applications like Pages or Word.
* Undo support.
* Supports external Bluetooth keyboards for really quick digit and basic operations entry (+, -, *, /).
* Tydlig works completely offline, no need to be connected to the internet.
* Lots of power under the hood with a lightning fast calculation engine, over 20 mathematical functions and scientific notation formatting options.
What's New in Version 1.4.1
* Bug fixes.
If you like Tydlig, please take the time to give us a nice review: it really helps.
Really Nice Job. Very easy “what if?” calculations.
This is an update after about 7 months of using Tydlig daily: no bugs or glitches, and 5 stars review still stands.
Tydlig is the most “unique” (as in “unique” = “different and good”) of all the 20 or so calculators I’ve tried (and I have no association with the developer). I keep trying other calcs, and this has become my everyday, preferred calculator.
In use, Tydlig is elegant and has a clean, obvious UI that is easy to use as a “normal” calculator. The cool feature that I like is the ability to touch and drag your numbers around, even pulling a number out of a calculation, and placing it in another calculation, and then pulling THAT result into the original calculation, to do a “what if” calculation. This may sound complicated, but it is very much like writing on a piece of paper, and drawing arrows into some other calculation, minus the erasing and smeared mess.
AND, Tydlig shows the slender connecting lines from one calculation to another, so I don’t lose the sense of what I was doing when I moved the numbers around. The edges of the main screen are a little busy (lots of possible settings, options, and places to send the info --currently PDF, print, screenshot--, multiple redos, trig functions, etc, but the main calculator area is open and clean. This developer thought “outside the box”, when I didn’t even notice that I was working in a box. Very Nice Job.
Great mix of style and function
I previously relied on Scalar for my calculator needs. Tydlig captures many of the same features as Scalar and adds some essential new ones, such as the ability to create graphs. The look of Tydlig is a welcome change, with more open space on the screen to show my calculations and an overall cleaner design. Unfortunately, one of Scalar's main selling points for me is missing in Tydlig, which is the ability to have multiple pages, each with their own saved calculations. Although I do appreciate the infinitely scrolling calculation page, I still miss the ability to separate my calculations and give them their own unique labels. This isn't a deal breaker, and I still feel that Tydlig is well worth the small asking price, but separate pages would be a welcome update to an already stellar app. Looking forward to more promising apps from this developer!
The (nearly) perfect calculator
When I'm doing calculations, I often don't need computational algebra solvers, or advanced numerical methods functions. I just want to do some basic arithmetic, keep track of my work, and play with the numbers. Tydlig is perfect for this.
If you need the full power of Mathematica or Matlab or something, this isn't what you want. But if you constantly find yourself with scratch paper recording the output of a scientific calculator as you crunch some numbers, this is exactly what you want.
My only wish was that it supported more than one document (you currently have to clear your work and start fresh, with no way to save your old document except to export as an image or PDF.) Syncing to Dropbox or iCloud would also be nice.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 24, 2014
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 11.5 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Tydlig Software AB
- © 2014 Tydlig Software AB
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.