Castro — Podcast App
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Castro is a revolutionary podcast client that's smart, focused, and exclusive to iOS.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Financial Times crowned Castro the "Best Designed App for Listening to Serial".
“This app is great. It’s a new entrant into the iOS podcasting space, but it shouldn’t be seen that way. It’s a very functional app in a visually impressive package.”
— Benjamin Mayo, 9to5mac
“Personally speaking, I've found my new podcast app of choice.”
— Richard Devine, iMore
“Castro's a fantastic podcast app”
“Podcast clients continue to be a modern UI design playground for an evolving medium, and Castro 1.1 is a solid exponent in this field.”
— Federico Viticci, Mac Stories
“New podcast listening app for iPhone, with an elegant, simple iOS 7 interface. I don’t recall ever seeing a playback/scrubbing interface quite like Castro’s, and it’s really good.”
— John Gruber, Daring Fireball
— Jim Dalrymple
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* Gesture-based interface that puts content front and center.
* Episodes timeline makes it easy to find the latest episodes of all your podcasts.
* Continuous play option to automatically play the next episode.
* Voice-optimized playback speed algorithm makes podcasts sound incredibly good when played at fast or slow speeds. No other podcast app sounds this good.
* Full screen themes make podcasts look as good as they sound.
* Innovative player controls, optimized for podcast listening.
* Takes advantage of iOS's background features to keep your podcasts fully updated, even when you're not in the app.
* Automatically downloads new episodes as they are published.
* Instant, clear, notifications when new episodes come out.
* Turn on News Mode to keep only the most recent episode of frequently updated podcasts.
* Exceptionally fast search.
* Simple, well thought out settings.
* Easy to manage cellular data usage.
* Sleep timer for listening in bed. Still awake when the episode pauses? Just tap play again on the lock screen or headphone remote to extend the sleep timer.
* Intelligent storage management — you set the size limit and Castro will delete old episodes as necessary to keep within it.
* Supports streaming and offline playback.
* Ability to play episodes without subscribing to the podcast.
* We keep Castro updated regularly, fixing any bugs you report and adding new features.
What's New in Version 1.2.3
- Fixes a number of crashes in our networking code.
- This will be the last version that supports iOS 7. Version 1.3 will be iOS 8.1+ only.
- We're hard at work on Castro 2 — we can't wait to tell you more. Follow @supertopsquid on Twitter to get the latest news.
Sure looks better than other clunky podcast apps plus is much faster in search for new podcasts. It’s easy to subscribe and un-subscribe. Very little help on line or on the internet . I still don’t know how the default settings work. For those of us that did not design the app , why should we have to guess. ? . On one phone it indicated my app was using 4 or 5 gigs. No way to see which podcasts were downloaded & had to delete the entire app and restart. Its really worth the $ though if your into podcasts and want a simple way to learn what podcasts match your interests.
Like some of the other reviewers, I listen to a lot of podcasts and have purchased most ever iOS podcast client. I keep coming back to Castro. It’s beautiful, functional, and a pleasure to use. While I enjoy Overcast’s “smart speed” feature and the idea of “saving time” while listening to podcasts, I land back at Castro because its a pleasure to use. The UI is a delight. Plus, I sample so many podcasts that Castro’s streaming—which isn’t an option in Overcast—is a preferred solution for me.
Great UI, but lacks fundamental features
I find it amazing that this app has received such high praise, when, in fact, it lacks fundamental features such as iCloud sync and badge notifications. It's not that I find it difficult to re-add my podcasts every time the app is downloaded, but I would expect the developer of a paid app to provide these features, especially this far into the product life cycle.
- Category: News
- Updated: Feb 20, 2015
- Version: 1.2.3
- Size: 4.6 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Supertop Software
- © Supertop 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.