Castro — Podcast App
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Castro is a revolutionary podcast client that's smart, focused, and exclusive to iOS.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
“New podcast listening app for iPhone, with an elegant, simple interface. I don’t recall ever seeing a playback/scrubbing interface quite like Castro’s, and it’s really good.”
— John Gruber, Daring Fireball
“Personally speaking, I've found my new podcast app of choice.”
— Richard Devine, iMore
The Financial Times crowned Castro the "Best Designed App for Listening to Serial".
“This app is great. It’s a new entrant into the iOS podcasting space, but it shouldn’t be seen that way. It’s a very functional app in a visually impressive package.”
— Benjamin Mayo, 9to5mac
“Castro's a fantastic podcast app”
“Podcast clients continue to be a modern UI design playground for an evolving medium, and Castro 1.1 is a solid exponent in this field.”
— Federico Viticci, Mac Stories
— Jim Dalrymple
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* Gesture-based interface that puts content front and center.
* Episodes timeline makes it easy to find the latest episodes of all your podcasts.
* Continuous play option to automatically play the next episode.
* Voice-optimized playback speed algorithm makes podcasts sound incredibly good when played at fast or slow speeds. No other podcast app sounds this good.
* Full screen themes make podcasts look as good as they sound.
* Innovative player controls, optimized for podcast listening.
* Takes advantage of iOS's background features to keep your podcasts fully updated, even when you're not in the app.
* Automatically downloads new episodes as they are published.
* Instant, clear, notifications when new episodes come out.
* Turn on News Mode to keep only the most recent episode of frequently updated podcasts.
* Exceptionally fast search.
* Simple, well thought out settings.
* Easy to manage cellular data usage.
* Sleep timer for listening in bed. Still awake when the episode pauses? Just tap play again on the lock screen or headphone remote to extend the sleep timer.
* Intelligent storage management — you set the size limit and Castro will delete old episodes as necessary to keep within it.
* Supports streaming and offline playback.
* Ability to play episodes without subscribing to the podcast.
* We keep Castro updated regularly, fixing any bugs you report and adding new features.
What's New in Version 1.2.4
- Fixes issues that occur when running iOS betas.
- Podcasts with long show notes (Like Kalzumeus) no longer crash Castro.
If you enjoy Castro, please leave a nice review on the store.
When overhyped new podcast apps debut, I immediately buy and try them. Within a few days, I inevitably come back to Castro.
Castro is, for my needs, podcast perfection. I have 24 subscriptions and probably listen to 12 hours of shows per week. I've been heavily into podcasts since 2007 or so.
h/t - Five Hundy By Midnight and Onion Radio News... Two of my earliest favorites.
Anyway, Castro's notifications fire reliably, episodes download quickly and this app does everything beautifully.
The typography is stunning and the settings changes introduced in ver. 1.1 made this my daily driver. Early on I was annoyed by the circle-cropped show art, but the 1.1 update even addressed that—making some tweaks that solved all annoyances.
If you want to fiddle with settings and "work" to make a podcatcher ideal, go buy one of the hyped apps. If you want simplicity with reasonable flexibility and bulletproof functionality, buy Castro today.
A simple app for a simple listener
I don't need a thousand bells and whistles, so apps like downcast or overcast just seemed too busy to me. This is an app that lets you subscribe to podcasts and then listen to those podcasts, which is all people like me really need.
However, this app is not without some helpful tools such as a sleep timer and an option to choose what speed you would like to listen at, both of which can come in handy sometimes.
With a beautiful user interface and a lot of simplicity, this has become my podcatcher of choice.
P.S.: If you have not ventured outside of the native podcast app, I would recommend it. Maybe you don't necessarily need to pick Castro, but just about anything is better than the native app.
Great fast-play sound
I can finally stand to listen to podcasts faster than 1x.
- Category: News
- Updated: Jun 24, 2015
- Version: 1.2.4
- Size: 4.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Supertop Software
- © Supertop 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.