By Ginger Labs
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation.
Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Recognized by Apple as the Best Selling Paid Productivity app in 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
Notability is designed for Mac
- Quickly create notes by dragging documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop and dropping onto the library.
- Enhance notes by dragging photos, audio recordings, and PDFs from the desktop and dropping onto a note.
- Get more done with smart keyboard shortcuts.
- Handwriting and sketches can be scaled, transformed, free and constrained rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
Capture memorable notes with these essential features
- Type reports and outlines in a variety of fonts, sizes, colors and styles.
- Text automatically reflows around images.
- Highlight typed text.
- Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
- Sketch and write using a variety of colors, line widths, and styles.
- Draw perfectly straight lines by holding the Shift key.
- Record audio during lectures and meetings to capture more detail.
- Import audio recordings from other sources.
Audio Recordings: Review and Give Feedback
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio feedback to students.
Import and Annotate PDFs
- Highlight text and Copy & Paste text in PDFs using the Typing tool.
- Search PDF text.
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
All Electronic Workflow
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
Organize and Share Notes
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more.
- Retrieve recently deleted notes from the Mac OS X Trash.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox and Google Drive can be used to backup your notes and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 2.5.1
*** What's new in 2.5.1 ***
* Notability can now check the spelling of multiple languages in the same note
* Bug fix: Images pasted in a note sometimes were incorrectly sized
* Bug fix: Notability could crash when switching tabs in the Preference panels
* Bug fix: Notability could crash on Yosemite when selecting media with handwriting
The iPad and iPhone version are much better
There is a huge gap in quality between the Mac version and the iOS version. Things that annoy me from the Mac version: (1) You can not draw shapes, like arrows or squares, which is a very basic tool for annotating on your laptop; (2) you cannot paste photos from your clipboard; (3) The selection tool is too basic, for example it does not highlight the elements that have been selected, and you can only use a rectangular selection tool; (4) You can’t select the type of paper for your note, which is something that the iOS version includes; (5) It doesn’t make sense that in order to sort your notes, you have to go to the main menu. An icon on the top of the note list is needed. (6) sometimes when I click the note with the Text tool selected, it creates a text box; but in other occasions I do the same, and instead of creating a text box, it moves the cursor to the note itself so that I can start writing. You need to polish the UX guys.
Its good but could be way better
I like this app. Its pretty much the only one I could find that allows me to freely write out my notes with my Wacom tablet. There are a few things though that I would like to see to truly make this a 5 star app. I really dislike the syncing with dropbox I can never seem to get my documents to come back. One thing that I particularly dislike is that when you toggle the sidebar or painbrush tool bar the application does not replace the sidebar when hidden with space to write. There also seems to be a lot of menu realestate in the tool bar to add a lot more options. I would get rid of the painbrush color option and just fill up the right side of the tool bar with different colors and etc. I think the pricepoint is a little expensive for what you get. Its an ok app.
Still hides blank sheet when I select the pencil tool.
Version 2.5.0 crashes each time I click on the new Auto-backup tab in Notability Preferences. Please resolve this issue. Thanks!
Version 2.5.1 fixed the crashes, and now I can see the Auto-backup tab in Preferences, but if I want to use a local destination for backups, how do I do that if the only option available is Off? I should not be required to interact, even in Preferences, with Dropbox or Google Drive in order to select a destination for local backups. Currently, the Change button next to Destination is greyed out because Auto-backup is Off. Where is the On button? FYI the iCloud option is also Off. So I choose not to use iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive with Notability, but I would like to backup locally. Also, thanks for fixing the crashes in the old version!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Apr 25, 2017
- Version: 2.5.1
- Size: 30.6 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © 2017 Ginger Labs, Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor