By Mi Clos Studio
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
5/5 on TouchArcade
5/5 on PocketTactics
9/10 'Gold Award' on PocketGamer
Leftfield Collection Official Selection at Rezzed Show 2013
Indie Games Arcade Official Selection at Eurogamer Expo 2013
WARNING : This game is hard ! Check the forum for strategy tips : http://outthere.forumactif.org/
You are an astronaut awaking from cryonics not in the solar system, but... out there... in a far and unknown place of the galaxy. In Out There, you will have to survive, tinkering your ship with what you can gather drifting in the void, and spot garden planets to refill your oxygen supply.
Space is an hostile place ; dangerous and mysterious adventures will mark each step of your travel. You will not only meet intelligent species that won’t care about you, but also deal with ancient powers linked to your destiny and the fate of mankind itself.
Survival and understanding of what is really at stake in the galaxy is the core of what Out There has to offer.
Music by award-winning composer Siddhartha Barnhoorn (Antichamber, The Stanley Parable)
• Game Center : 50 achievements, 1 leaderboard
• A dark and melancholic, hard sci-fi adventure
• Explore a freshly procedurally-generated galaxy every new game
• 300+ handwritten game book adventures with different choices
• Epic main storyline with 3 different endings
• 8 spaceships with different specs to discover
• Crafting system with 20 alien technologies built from 15 materials
• Engage with alien life forms and learn their language
• No combat ! It’s you against the environment
• Eerie score by award-winning composer Siddartha Barnhoom (Antichamber, The Stanley Parable)
• Fantastic pulp comics graphics
• High replay value
What's New in Version 1.01
- Fixes minor bugs
Fun but Random
I picked up this title being a fan of other space survival sims like FTL. This game has something unique of it's own to offer but it's set back by some unfortunate issues.
First are the slow animations all over the place. If I'm feeling like playing this game, it makes me jump through far too many hoops just to get into the actual game. It's kind of aggravating.
Second is the UI. It's not very responsive to my taps and often takes me multiple drags and drops to achieve what I want. This is something that should have been play tested more.
Last is a flaw in the game mechanics themselves. While I don't mind brutal game mechanics, this one seems to leave very little control in the risk-reward balance. It seems to reduce the game to rolling the dice rather than developing anything that could be considered the player's unique play style. This game simply conditions youth play the way it wants you to play. This all ends as an exercise in frustration since there is very little room for creative play and very little reward for risk taking.
I'm giving it a generous three stars because I do see some hope that parts of this game could improve. It has a very long ways to go though. Good luck to the developers and hopefully fun for others willing to take this young game for a spin.
I really like this game. I've put about 7 hours in this game just to find out that there's a stupid ending... No great reward, no sense of accomplishment - like in plants vs. zombies. I could have played this game longer if it would have let me, I feel like I was only halfway through the game before it ended.
My suggestions: 1. Fix the terrible resource problem (you can never find enough to get past 2 galaxies), or at least give the beginning players a head start.
2. Make finding a new ship easier, I never have enough room for anything, therefore I can't upgrade anything. And you can't get very far in without upgrades.
3. I know this would be hard but, less cheesy and repetitive dialogues.
4. When you get near the enemy bass, all the galaxies around it don't have to be overrun by enemies, I would just like a few less enemies so I could at least refuel.
5. Have expandable storage, this is probably the biggest problem I ran into while paying. If you don't do anything else with this game please just add more (or expandable) storage!
Great potential, fun at first
This is a fun space exploration adventure game with permadeath. Initially the game starts strong. It is challenging and rewarding to figure out some of the mechanics.
After playing for a period of time however the game's glaring balance issues and poorly designed endgame make it incredibly frustrating. The game is random to a game breaking degree. Successful advancement relies on two factors: acquiring technology and finding a new ship with more storage. For those two things to line up is pretty rare and requires very frequent restarts. Even if you get a good ship and every technology storage space becomes so limited that traveling the huge distance in the late game becomes tedious and nearly impossible even with a "perfect" run. Finally there is one mid game random event that happens every time that can instantly hamstring you and guarantee a game over no matter how prepared you are.
Overall tons of potential but requires some serious polish and maybe a rethinking of some of the mechanics to make the game feel less random and less tedious.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Mar 02, 2014
- Version: 1.01
- Size: 40.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Graines de SOL
- © Mi-Clos Studio 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.