Discover Indiana is a free app that puts Indiana history at your fingertips. Brought to you by the Public History Program at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, the National Council on Public History, the Indiana Department of Historic Preservation and Archaeology, and the Indiana Historical Society, this app helps you explore unique historic places and take self-guided walking tours. Find interesting people, places and events in Indiana’s history. With a growing list of interpretive stories, each point on the interactive GPS-enabled map includes historical information about the location, along with historic images from archival collections and historical publications. For some sites there are audio and/or video clips. It is a collaborative effort by students, public historians, teachers, and community members and organizations. You can find more information about Indianapolis history by visiting the project website at indyhist.iupui.edu.
Welcome to Discover Indiana 3.0!
- New and improved user interface
- Native 3D-enabled maps (try a two finger swipe for a cool 3D view)
- Offline functionality (text-only)
- New Discover page highlights featured and nearby content
- Stories page now shows recent additions by default, with filters for nearby and featured
- Search for stories, tours, and files
- Plus lots of technical improvements
Ratings and Reviews
This app is great.
I've always enjoyed history and learning the stories of the people and places around me and this app does exactly that. Living downtown, it's easy to just walk with your head down and not pay attention to what's around you, but this app lets you fold back the world around you and peek back to what it was like decades or centuries ago. Really cool stories and great pictures of all of these historic locations. I would love to see more locations added in the future.
Another great idea, but the app does not appear to work.
- Cleveland State University Research Corporation
- 39 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013 Dr. Rebecca Shrum and Dr. John Dichtl, Department of History, IUPUI
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.