Fighting Fantasy: Starship Traveller
By Tin Man Games
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Steve Jackson and Tin Man Games present Starship Traveller - an adventure of the far future in which YOU are the hero!
Sucked through the appalling nightmare of the Seltsian Void, the starship Traveller emerges at the other side of the black hole into an unknown universe. YOU are the captain of the Traveller, and her fate lies in your hands. Will you be able to discover the way back to Earth from the alien peoples and planets you encounter, or will you and your crew be doomed to roam uncharted space forever?
** REVIEWS **
"The original gamebook has been beautifully revived, and now stands shoulder-to-shoulder with its sci-fi peers across all entertainment media." - POCKET GAMER - 9 out of 10 - Gold Award!
"It's interesting because in the increasingly large mobile gamebook scene, I find Starship Traveller stands out for exactly the same reasons it did 30 (oh my, is it really 30?) years ago. We've got lots of fantasy books, some horror books, a few modern books, but this energetic take on classic sci-fi is a breath of fresh air..." - TOUCH ARCADE - 4.5 out of 5!
"...it’s a no brainer of a purchase – especially for Sci-Fi fans." - 148 APPS - 4 out of 5!
** FEATURES **
• Fully customize your entire crew, from their names, their stats - and even rename your starship!
• Three styles of combat: melee, phaser and even starship battles!
• Switch around your crew before each battle round for added strategy during combat!
• Beam down to strange alien planets, selecting your finest crew for the job!
• Auto-mapping charts your travels through the cosmos! New planets and stars appear as you discover them!
• All-new full colour illustrations by Simon Lissaman, with a space-age cover by Dan Maxwell.
• Achievements to find throughout the gamebook.
Starship Traveller has been created using Tin Man Games’ critically acclaimed Gamebook Adventures Engine featuring:
• Read the book horizontally or vertically on your tablet.
• An automated Adventure Sheet to keep track of stats and inventory.
• Realistic physics based dice rolling. Shake your device!
• Artwork gallery. Find an illustration in the gamebook and be able to access it full-screen forever.
• Bookmarking system which saves your position in the gamebook, much like putting your fingers between the pages to remember your previous page when reading the paperback!
• Specially composed soundtrack and sound effects.
Tin Man Games have signed a licensing deal to release the Fighting Fantasy series on iOS, so expect to see more of your favourite adventure gamebooks appearing soon!
Coming Soon... The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Deathtrap Dungeon, City of Thieves, Citadel of Chaos, Appointment with F.E.A.R. and more!
Pretty Good So Far...
Graphics and presentation are top notch as with all Tin Man games. Music is good but gets much too annoying after a while. I wish you would add more atmospheric mood sounds to intertwine with the music. Maybe vary the music more or make the clip more atmospheric so its pleasant in the background.
As to the theme, I love the Traveller RPG games and so was excited to see this. It's very interesting but I really don't care for the tedious battle system. I like the idea of rolling virtual dice but there's not much to the battles other than lots of tedious rolling. You can adjust your crews line up as to who attacks what enemy but basically I just ended up mass pressing the skip button to get the fight over with. I'm only in the first part of the game. It's well written but hasn't pulled me in yet. But don't let that keep anyone who's a fan of Gamebook Adventures from getting this. It's pretty awesome and these are minor criticisms.
Overpriced Retro game/book
Should be priced at about a dollar. Looks like an easy job to make a game from a decision book that also has dice rolls. Great idea 30 years ago, but doesn't hold up well for me. I mistakenly thought this was based on the traveller game from decades ago...it is not.
However, I do look for award to other games from Steve Jackson. I recall him doing car wars/autoduel.
Great feel like I'm Kirk in Star Trek !
- Category: Games
- Released: Apr 10, 2014
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 50.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Tin Man Games Pty Ltd
- © 2014 Tin Man Games Pty. Ltd.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.